Magnificent burst of graffiti bombing on NYC subways

This took very careful planning and perfect execution — things the Trump campaign knows Jack about.

1 Like

Um…

I didn’t bring personal morality into the discussion.

(Odd how these kinds of conversations always seem to have those undertones, though; along with a healthy side of classism.)

Your personal property is not public subway cars or old derelict buildings which have been left vacant for years because no one can afford to pay the exorbitant rent.

10 Likes

Eh. My favorite example was an old WWII bunker visible from the road which was graffiti’d, repainted and regraffitti’d for years until the owners painted it flat black. Then someone tagged it with the #savethechildren meme, and someone else crossed it out and replaced it with #savethecats #meowmeow which I found more palatable :slight_smile:

3 Likes

a street artist’s goal is to make street art.
a graffiti writer’s goal is to make their name a meme. which they can do by making street art, both legal or illegal, also. but writing the name as publicly as possible takes precedence over artistic or legal concerns to varying degrees depending on the particular writer’s philosophy and/or willingness.
graffiti has always been a function of humans. liking it or not is beside the point. as the sample in the Aerosoul video above, “it’s like a virus.” a meme. it will happen.

4 Likes

Have any street artists offered to put that kind of thing on your house?

7 Likes

Not so far. :slight_smile: I’m trying to decide if I would accept if someone like Banksy or Wyland offered to paint the front of the house; it is peeling a bit…

1 Like

My favorite subway car image during my early years in NYC was King Kong with his arms stretched wide, his head tilted to one side and his mouth painted large on the subway door, so when it opened people were disgorged from King Kong onto the platform. It was beautifully done.

9 Likes

Indeed; that’s all most prehistoric cave drawings were.

Humans gonna human; regardless.

The only way to mitigate our worst impulses is to make sure that the masses are readily able to meet their needs without excess strife.

Crime and poverty stem from inequality.

Wow… you sure think a lot of yourself, there…

7 Likes

You’re fun at parties, I bet.

4 Likes

I’m envisioning someone coming by in the dead of night and trying to help themselves to a Banksy.

This conversation has gotten… odd.

I’m gonna move on now; you go ahead and have yourself a good day.

2 Likes

tiphat

16 Likes

An improbable conundrum I’d love to have but, like you, never will because it’s pure fantasy. Even if you didn’t like the art, you could sell the wall or house for way more than you could now and wind up with the same house or a new house and a bunch of free money in the bank.

6 Likes

yeah but then you’d have to go through it all again, unless you took time cop lessons.

That’s kind of the point.

3 Likes

That elephant is AMAZING work.

The crew that hit the subway are great too.

It’s art. Of course someone doesn’t like it.
Paint never hurt anybody except the precious.

13 Likes

That’s an example of commissioned street art, and yes, it is.

6 Likes

To me it sometimes seems that those who are 100% opposed to the notion of graffiti being political acts, are the same people who are okay with right-wing/police violence.

8 Likes

I’m sure the NYC PBA will look into this in microscopic detail. Takes time, though. A. Lot. Of. Time.

2 Likes