Maine Gov. LePaige: people of color are the enemy

Its absolutely gorgeous up there. Even out in the boonies where there’s absolutely nothing of note for many hundreds of miles. But Maine has always been really weird in my experience. It just strikes me that the racism and …unique strains of conservatism there should be more than out weighed by all the other equal and opposite weird. Leaving you with what Maine mostly is functionally. A working class New England state with a solidly blue bent. I certainly have always seen the bits and pieces of its Tea Party take over as long as I’ve been visiting and had family there. What I have trouble figuring out is precisely why it broke that way. It isn’t just that the state somewhat flipped to the GOP. The Dems there often seemed to be of the center to center right variety, there are huge working class blocks there and the state is almost entirely white. Or even that the Tea Party block had success there. Hell I live in the NYC metro area and we ended up with two congressmen out here from the Tea Party Take-over. Its that they went whole hog on the very craziest Tea Party crazy. And like I said Maine is already full of wacky political things. It just seems a bit odd that that particular strain of wacky out paced all the others.

5 Likes

WAAAAH!

(how’s that?)

5 Likes

At first I suspected that @beschizza was studying at the Cory Doctorow School of Headlines because I figured no out and out racist would say “people of color” but dang if it aint so!

We dont get off that easy, theres stil plenty of places we get trouble for existing.

True, but as per the top of my comment, I did learn something today!

2 Likes

You can tell a lot about a country by the people it elects. Here, in the UK, for example, we appear to be a bunch of greedy liars.

6 Likes

Okay, but let’s not forget please that one is worse than the other.

9 Likes

Facebook is one of the few sources that keeps me out of a filter bubble. I find it useful to get the occasional reminder that people I grew up around believe all sorts of strange things. (Theosophy? Really? That still exists?) I have to admit, though, that when I’ve hit LePage-level racism, I’ve unfriended or blocked for mental health reasons.

9 Likes

On a long enough timeline, all that crap gets old. We should have a global holiday where everyone paints themselves green for a day. We’d call it 'Green D— oh, crap. Never mind. Blue. We’d paint ourselves—oh, crap again. Dammit, is there a color that doesn’t have a pop culture reference behind it? How 'bout magenta? I love magenta.

6 Likes

Don’t we all, dear, don’t we all?

14 Likes

But we’re here, in America, talking about an American issue, with an American governor. This isn’t Zimbabwe.

5 Likes

LePage doesn’t understand how prank calls are supposed to work. You answer them, not leave unsolicited voicemails.

6 Likes

Hey, Maine.

12 Likes

I drive to Maine several times a month. There are signs greeting you at the border. In the interest of zen, I’ll just leave this here.

9 Likes

##Pervenche.

Or, if you want something a wee bit more familiar,
##Puce.

8 Likes

How does a color that starts with “perv” not have a pop culture reference behind it? Someone’s falling down on the job here!

11 Likes

Also:

Edit: After listening to this song i was going to comment on the musical differences between this and the album version, but then i was struck by a way it differs strongly from the tone of The Specials’ song that @ficuswhisperer posted. The passivity of the narrator is strong in the TMBG song. I.e., this behavior bothers me, so i’ll walk away, as opposed to a message that’s closer to telling the listener to actively engage and fight the racist attitudes.
Still love the song, but gods is it white.

11 Likes

Because of the Dumbening, maybe?

3 Likes

One consideration is that he may be right…

If you’re an old racist as hell idiot, then people of color may truly be the enemy. Not in the “nefarious ne’er do wells out to rape yer wimmin” or “evil gangsta” sort of trope, but in the much more likely “not at all likely to support, and very likely to work hard against anything this racist asshole does” sort of way.

Being a tan sort of yellow color, I can say that I’m definitely not this guy’s friend.

10 Likes

Sarcoline.

I’m Toasted French Vanilla with a Sprinkling of FrecklesTM myself, and I’m right there with you; he’s no friend of mine, & vise versa.

12 Likes

I’m starting to think that this might not be for republican voters chosing a representing so much a flaw as it is a feature

1 Like

I’d hope you wouldn’t do that.

3 Likes