Maine's new ISP privacy law has both California and New York beat

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/06/14/us-telecom-vs-usa.html

3 Likes

I want municipal or at least local fiber internet. I have been trying to get any company to bring it to my neighborhood for years now. They always cite needing more demand despite every house in the neighborhood using one of their services. We have two neighborhood schools they won’t even go for. I thought competition spurred innovation and movement in the market.

5 Likes

The Democratic Congress know they’ll get slaughtered by their base if they cave to the ISP lobby

They’ve been caving to the copyright lobby for decades and suffered no discernable ill effects. I don’t anticipate a “slaughter”. Maybe a skinned knee or two.

1 Like

That is rich, considering that if cable TV/Internet is one of the offerings, there is surely a fiber backbone required to keep their scattered optical nodes (a device in the field that transitions from fiber to coax copper) running. Fiber optic Ethernet switches could be deployed onto the same locations as the optical nodes onto the spare fibers, with only the last mile fiber left to be done, and that could be automatic for new developments and routine cable plant refreshes.

1 Like

Very excited about this, and I want to give some props to the library community–I testified on behalf of the Maine Library Association at the committee hearing, pointing out the legal protections that exist for the analog equivalent (library transactions). It was definitely a highlight of my year so far!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.