Majority of UK booze-industry revenues come from problem drinkers

You really don’t want any, believe me.

1 Like

Honestly though, there are people for whom the bottom of their third drink has a 100% correlation to the bottom of their 8th. They are where the profit is in booze.

It may balance out and then some in the healthcare, liver damage being relatively easy to fix and all.

Great post btw.

7 Likes

I remember when I read some similar statistics about consumption in the US, how a small percentage of drinkers consumed so much more than the average consumer. I think it was so shocking to me because if I was to have made a guess at the numbers, I would have been wildly off (similar to wealth distribution). I think this article is referring to the same survey that I read about:

2 Likes

We did in fact discuss this in Oct of 2014 for Americans.

The solution is for non-drinkers to become casual drinkers. That will drive down the percentage of sales purchased by heavy drinkers.

8 Likes

I can’t take my eyes off the magnificent pose by that guy in the blue. The pavement is his bearskin rug and the glare his fire light. He’s so very…regal.

2 Likes

That photo received high accolades. It really is brilliant.

That depends how big your mug is.

3 Likes

six drinks you say?

4 Likes

Yeah-- there’s something about this formula that appeals to the nerd in me.

The number of UK units of alcohol in a drink can be determined by multiplying the volume of the drink (in litres) by its percentage ABV.

Thus, a 75 cl bottle of 2010 Laztana Rioja Tempranila Reserva, at 14 percent alcohol contains 10.5 units. It took me three days to polish off, so 3.5 units per day. (and that was my drink for the week/fortnight, whatever)

But my wine goblet isn’t graduated. it averages out to 12.5 cl per pour, but for al I know, I could be drinking rather less on day 3.

Now, the Guinness I had last night was 1 pt 6oz, so .65 litres at – looks at label, finds out it isn’t marked, hmm let’s call it 6%. 3.9 units

Units of alcohol makes sense in a laboratory, but the UK is asking drunks to keep track of this… Maybe the UK marks them-- “this bottle of oatmeal stout contains 2.75 units, don’t drink more than two or three at a time.”

1 Like

Yeah, they do.

3 Likes

I had trouble even keeping track of your post.
It’s a very good point. How about a mandatory QR or barcode on the can, which your phone can scan for the alchohol volume? An app can then add the units up for you.
Swipe before you drink.

1 Like

The left bottle, [hiccup], or the right bottle?

5 Likes

I know someone with such an app (minus the very smart QR code idea). He also has an interlock on his ignition, and uses the app to calculate what his BAC will be by 6AM, when he next has to blow into it to start his car.

Brilliant guy, no scarcasm intended. In a lot of ways he manages it like a diabetic does their blood sugar. There but for the grace…

3 Likes

Yep - it can’t be long till the booze titans realise that not only is craft beer taking market share - it’s destroying appetite for LOADZA booze.

Mind you, I suspect maybe I’m growing old too. I savour a couple of lovelies and I’m done. Maybe it tastes like ostrich cak to the young guns.

The thing that amazes - and I mean, AMAZES - me is the amount of booze in USA TV. I mean, yeah, they’re makin’ money honey, so they’re up with the rich lot - but the shows literally teach people precisely what situations require an alcohol douse to deal with runaway and difficult emotions.

I cite - and this was under my radar till last weekend as I’m not the target audience - George of the Jungle (1997) - mother insists child not run away to Tarzanalike; father doesn’t help; child runs away besotted - mother basically turns to camera, winks knowingly, and downs her glass of booze in a clearly medicinal manner - it’s clearly necessary, required.

The target audience of 5-10 years of age.

Really?!?! Why?!?! What does that scene add?!

It teaches kids to self-medicate with booze.

1 Like

The only objections to that sort of ingenuity are moral concerns. And morality doesn’t belong in a discussion about addiction.

3 Likes

And there’s lots more of those jokes in this

1 Like

Thought. What about using the existing UPC/EAN barcode, and have a database, possibly crowdsourced, with data indexed to the barcode number?

We already have unique identifiers for the goods. Can we leverage them?

1 Like