MAKE: custom action figure head paintjob

[Read the post]

1 Like

Sweet!

Can we see this coupled with photoresin objects? The printing from UV-sensitive goop is fast and yields incredibly detailed, albeit small, objects.

I love the smell of photoresin in the morning. Smells like a major upheaval for model kits, miniatures, and toy industries!

Edit:

From the gallery of one photoresin vendor, http://www.funtodo.net/

3 Likes

This is relatively old info; ask anyone who works with ball-jointed dolls about doing face-ups.

The guy on the far right seems to have the telltale 3d-printed horizontal lines on his tummy.

Do they have to polish these after printing, or was that one just not quite there?

1 Like

Those are kinda meh in detail but then again probably way cheaper than say GW.
On the actual tutorial it is quite good and can be used for any miniature. It still takes a bit of practice to make it look as nice.

1 Like

I have little idea; I am not 100% familiar with photoresin printing. It’s however a technology that’s already just-a-tram-ride-and-too-much-but-still-affordableish away in a local brick and mortar store. So it’s doomed to get better. :smiley:

The layers are better visible on the aircraft wing here:

Same gallery.

GW?

The photoresin is fairly expensive, several times of that of cheap filament. About 48-70 USD/kg.

The resolution is dependent on the quality of the projector and on the optical properties of the liquid resin; scattering instead of outright absorption will cause bloom and thicker, more visible layers.

1 Like

Games-Workshop,
An addiction I have been avoiding lately cause of work/commute/other things.
These are multipart injection mold plastics… though this group is mostly two piece models from a ‘starter box’ and the transports in the back are old not near as nice as the new ones but I am kinda meh about dropping $50/model for new ones when those are fine.
DSC04689 by Tobin Lathrop, on Flickr

ETA 3 piece models, The main body, hands and gun, and the backpack. They are still really awesome even if not as easy to customize as the regular models which are a bit of a challenge for a beginner.

2 Likes

I am thinking about color 3d-printing by using a CNC brush with paint, or other way to deposit a paint layer, after each layer gets printed - lower a given brush (or a felt-tip pen, we can use a cam on a servo to control a whole bank of Sharpies with a single signal) and trace the edge with the needed color. Came with it for molecular modeling, as an alternative to manually paint the filament-printed models, but should work for figures too, if adjusted for the photoresin way. Would take more time, though, due to way more layers. (Alternatively, inkjet head can be used.) The painting time would be quite cut because only the outer layer is addressed. Would have problems with overhangs, these would have to be postprocessed manually.

(methanol, manually painted with Sharpie-class markers)

Edit: Molecules are a bitch to print. Especially the more complex ones, they need an awful lot of support material, take their sweet time, and for some reasons one of them keeps aborting the print and clogging the nozzle at a certain layer. Filament force sensor and head force sensor will be added to provide intel to figure out the cause.

1 Like

Paint manufacturers are still using “flesh” and “skintone” generically to mean Caucasian skin color? Even Crayola hasn’t called that color “flesh” since 1962.

Why don’t you print the atoms (or small assemblies thereof) individually and assemble them by hand instead of trying to get the printer to spit out the whole thing readymade?

That’s possible, but would require some extra putzing with the model, handling the split lines (or split curves, as ball-and-socket would be likely easier than generating flats), and would just shift the issues from the printer to the preprocessor.

Better solve the printing trouble, and have them out of the way for all sorts of objects, not just the molecules.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.