Make driving safer by replacing air bags with daggers that stab you in the heart

no…just color deficient eyeballs

1 Like

And look what it did to your make-up.

4 Likes

Who needs spikes when you have Claymore-inspired air bags?

16 Likes

From that description it’s more like being punched in the back of the head. But I know people who’ve come out with broken noses and concussions. Better than the alternative but not at all cushy.

He ripped of Adam Carolla. That observation was in one of his books

Broke my nose, but the crash was bad enough I didn’t even notice.

1 Like

You’re saying Gordon Tullock

ripped off Adam Carolla?

I’m guessing that this Tullock fellow is a cyclist. I’ve had the same slightly guilty fantasy, and then a couple of years ago was shocked to discover that others shared it.

Back when my Dad and assorted uncles learnt to ride, the motorcycle licence test went like this:

1. Ride to the police station.
  2. Go inside, tell them you want a licence.
  3. Cop comes out, looks at your bike, then tells you to ride around the block while he goes inside and does the paperwork.
  4. If you aren’t visibly bleeding when the cop comes back out, congratulations! You’re now licenced to ride!

Two of my uncles did, in fact, crash during the ride around the block. But they were careful to stand with the gravel rash affected side facing away from the cop, so they passed.

11 Likes

They’re all guys. What are the chances?

2 Likes

In the 80s I remember working with a conservative person, degrees in economics, who insisted that seat belts and airbags benefits were cancelled out by the unsafe driving they encouraged. Ignored all statistics that showed how cars are also getting safer over time. This person also believed that MLK was safer in a jail cell than on the street because police officers and prison guards would never hurt him.

Would love to know how you design a study that proves this is effective. Hello sir, would you volunteer to have a deadly deadly spike sticking out of your steering column? It’s for science.

On the face of it, it seems implausible. Either you’re thinking about the spike the whole time you’re driving, in which case it’s a dangerous distraction, or you’re not thinking about it so it’s not helping but it’s still dangerous.

Also a spike sticking out of your steering wheel is probably going to kill you even in a low speed collision. This seems like an awful idea all round. If you want people to drive slower, you’ll have more luck if you just lower the damn speed limit.

2 Likes

I saw the perfect sticker in the back window of an SUV today: It was a black/white/red “hazard/warning” sign about the size of a dollar bill reading: “My brakes are fine / how about your insurance?”

In Ryuthrowsstuffistan, deer hits you!

3 Likes

It would work, in the end.

Good driving would mean more reproduction.

Bad driving would mean less.

It’ll just take time is all.

Me? I’ll take the subway.

1 Like

In mating season the bucks charge cars that are sitting still. Or moving. Head on. They’ll also course you, running along side your car at 30mph before attempting to dart across the road ahead of you. It’s like ungulate chicken out here.

1 Like

It does matter; it usually takes two bad drivers to cause a collision.

I avoid at least three or four prangs a year, and I only drive about 5,000km per year. Only last month I evaded a sideswipe by some dickhead who couldn’t wait for the car in front of him to turn.

1 Like

2 Likes

Which average do you mean? If you mean average as the mean, then that’s just not true. There could be a handful of such catastrophic drivers or such safe drivers (who even prevent accidents) that it could drag the average around. The median though, yeah.

Normal distributions are common. But driving skill isn’t random.

2 Likes

Yes this is spike taking risk compensation to an extreme.
The reduction in road fatalities over the years has more to do with vunerable road users keeping out of the way (or being more acutely aware) of motor vehicles. The introduction of seat belts air bags and anti-lock braking has had little impact as much of the safety has been lost to risk compensation. (Check out John Adams “Risk”)

1 Like