Police tell man not to use pliers as a steering wheel

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/07/25/police-tell-man-not-to-use-pli.html

3 Likes

The pogrom against the Makers has begun!

14 Likes

In the late 60’s my dad used a sawed-down dining room chair as a driver’s seat in our VW bug.

8 Likes

Our VW Bug didn’t have a floor near the end!

This guy still has bucket seat!

12 Likes

Bucket seat – LOL

I’ve seen a couple of craptastic kludges on cars. One person was driving on what appeared to be a wheelbarrow wheel attached to a swing arm on the rear, which bounced madly. Another person had obliterated their tire and was driving on the rim, throwing up great gouts of sparks. Don’t think either one passed a safety check.

4 Likes

It needs a couch for the passengers.

5 Likes

Tha int nuffink!

10 Likes

Is there any legal basis for such an order? What about a steering octagon? What about a yoke?

1 Like

I had no idea there were rednecks in England.

5 Likes

Maybe Norfolk, VA is a sister city…

4 Likes

This has happened before, this will happen again.

4 Likes

I’ve driven worse, but admittedly not on a flat tire.

2 Likes

How about Vice Grips? Are those okay?

At one point my clutch was a rope I pulled, for a day, because the pedal failed and I had to get home.

7 Likes

That’s actually what he had on the car, not pliers. To be honest, it is probably not much worse than steering with a knob on the wheel, or with a F1 steering wheel. I can’t tell from the article, but I assume he was driving without a tax disk (hard to imagine this car passing the MOT any time in the last several years), and that is the offense which will stick.

At one point my clutch was a rope I pulled, for a day, because the pedal failed and I had to get home.

I’ve done this with the throttle on my old Alfa; there is a ball joint in the throttle linkage made of brittle plastic, an astonishing weak point on an otherwise robust design.

8 Likes

I’m sorry, and jealous, at the same time.

Mine was an old ford ranger, a bit less complicated.

2 Likes

A friend years ago had a car with a column-mounted shift lever that he replaced with Vise-Grips. Removing them when he left the car served as his anti-theft device.

9 Likes

Based on one of the other pics, I’m pretty pretty sure it was rolling on at least two spares.

2 Likes
4 Likes

This gentleman is no Edd China.

e74868d81866e517d6f359a6309671e8

5 Likes

A vehicle can be taken off the road on the grounds of being unsafe. The procedures about it are fairly detailed:

DVSA guidelines on categorisation of vehicle defects

I expect that the vehicle in the article runs foul of a significant number of those guidelines.

2 Likes