Making a retro-futuristic hover car from deodorant sticks

Originally published at: Making a retro-futuristic hover car from deodorant sticks | Boing Boing

1 Like

Thanks, that was useful. I’ve never had any luck using CA glue on this kind of plastic, I’m surprised and pleased to learn that the CA+baking powder combo works on it. (I just used CA+baking soda as part of an oven knob repair, but would never have guessed that it increases adhesion.)

3 Likes

Huh. I bought “3 component super glue” at a trade show, the third component being “specially developed filler microgranulate” (or some blurb like that) … and now I know I had the secret ingredient in the pantry all the time!

Also, that “sandpaper on the back of a steel ruler” trick will be implemented shortly.

In fact, both tips will be used soon, I need to do some work on the plastic bits of my Africa Twin.

8 Likes

Emory boards are a cheap, disposable version of this. They also come in different grits.

2 Likes

I use wet/dry automotive sandpaper epoxied to a plastic strip harvested from a heavy plastic container. You can also do this to plastic from the curved part of the container, for shaped sanding.

2 Likes

There! A Deo Trooper. That was easy!

6 Likes

Supernatural GIF

4 Likes

Okay, I had to feed that into a search engine… and nail files have their uses, especially around plastics.
When it comes to measuring things I don’t want cheap and disposable - I want a robust, reasonable flexible ruler that keeps its edge for marking and cutting and won’t slip off a curved smooth surface all the time. And this is ideal for me for a lot of applications. And I already have all the parts I need at hand.
Okay, sometimes a metal tape measure fixated with duct tape does the trick. But that’s always a bit fiddly and only works for marking.

3 Likes

Well, it’s true grit or bust, isn’t it.

3 Likes

Well, that doesn’t stink.

1 Like

Now we all know your secret ingredient.

2 Likes

520415f34e4e0a7d5631839ae5462b73--fry-and-laurie-hugh-laurie

4 Likes

Sanding the heck out of everything appears to be a good starting point. I guess that the rougher surface gives the CA glue something to hang on to.

Bill Making Stuff is a real youtube treasure; along with the likes of Miscast, Blackmagic Craft, and Darkmatter Studio. Stuff like this fills up a lot of my youtube watching, making for a positive social media experience.

1 Like

Yeah, there may have been a specific use I missed; I scrubbed through about half of the vid. I recently rediscovered emery boards while looking for wood carving supplies for Young Master Peas.

ETA: Apparently they’re spelled emery. Edited to correct.

2 Likes

1 Like

Perhaps the ur-example from back in the days when Games Workshop was cooler about entirely scratch built stuff:

7 Likes

That image in White Dork inspired more than just about any other.

Came here looking for this. Glad I was not disappointed. Rogue Trader was a very strange game.

I love making stuff out of trash. It’s marginally sustainable I guess? The ultimate was one where I collected garbage form various parking lots.
[Ship entirely built with parking lot trash](Link to details and pictures of the final result)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.