Where Sugru comes from - factory tour

[Permalink]

Look at that picture of a slightly banana-esque goop.

Just look at it.

3 Likes

ScheiĂźe, you beat me to it.

1 Like

If you want to make a similar thing, just mix cornstarch and the cheapest silicone caulk - the one that smells like vinegar.
You can experiment with more or less starch filling, but 50/50 by volume is just the right mixture.
After you mix it you mould it with wet hands.
This mixture, after kneaded a little bit with wet hands will harden across the entire cross-section relatively quickly - unlike pure silicone caulk that hardens from outside in, and 1 inch cross-section would take over a week.
It doesn’t work with the neutral silicone sealant.

Please note, the above recipe is probably not as good as Suguru, but if you buy starch wholesale (like 4 pound bag at once), you can’t beat the price. And you made it yourself :wink:

Recently I have purchased some fancy “construction” glue (some MS polymer, whatever that means), 290ml for 10Eur, and I am going to experiment with starch again.

4 Likes

It looks delicious.

Based on a boing boing post on it a while back, I purchased some Sugru to see what it could do. It’s really not quite as awesome as I thought it would be, it’s just not as tough or durable as I would have expected. And considering a sealed package of Sugru loses it’s effectiveness (expires) after six months, it’s not really the kind of thing you can keep around for fixes like you would various epoxies.

1 Like

On the other hand, I got some Shapelock from a Maker thing, and it keeps forever. It’s a white plastic that melts at around 60c / 140F, so you put it in hot water, shape it, and let it cool. (It comes as a baggie of plastic beads.) It forms hard slick plastic rather than adhesive, but it’s convenient for replacing that random-shaped part or broken frob.

Polycaprolactone (PCL), also sold as Instamorph.

Hacking the “hack” is quite reasonable considering the cost of Sugru.

I think Jane is awesome, especially her little double thumbs-up at the end of the “Meet Sugru” video!
http://sugru.com/about

What do they use to fix machines in the sugru factory when there’s a break?

Sugus, that’s all

i was disappointed to learn that all the machines in the sugru factory weren’t 3d printed from graphine and aerogel using crowdsourced designs and paid for using bitcoins something something lasers magnets cats. internets and blogz you haz lied to me. :frowning:

Sugru is expensive… but it is also incredibly useful and durable. I’ve used it to make a loop on a smart card, so I could attach a reel. After curing, nothing but a sharp knife would get that loop to budge. It also sticks to everything… metal, wood, plastic, rubber. The pump in our cat fountain, which is metal, was causing the top metal portion to vibrate just a bit. It was enough to discourage one of our cats from using the fountain. I put a thin layer of sugru on the contact points of the upper metal part, vibration solved. The sugru has stuck since, including a dozen runs through the dishwasher.
It also looks nice, from a design perspective. So my fixes are visually pleasing. That’s important to me.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.