Making BBS work again since the scripthosting changes

While on a boingboing.net page, permit scripts from disqus.COM and boingboing.net

Click on a link for “join the discussion”

Permit scripts from worldssl.net

Refresh page. Voila!

You do not need scripts from typekit or google analytics.

Edit 1: Disqus.com, not .net… Oops! Thanks, Jeff @codinghorror!

Edit 2: This procedure no longer necessary. Just permit scripts the from worldssl.net on the BBS pages and from bOINGbOING.net on the BB pages, and all will be well.

Edit 3: After a brief wobbly period where I couldn’t make it work at all, now you’ll need to allow virtual-host-discourse.global.fastly.ssl.net instead of worldssl.net. You still don’t need typekit etc.

Why would you need scripts from disqus.net?

Why would you need scripts from disqus.com?

There is no Disqus on BB that I know of any more. If there is, it’s probably an accident.

Beats me! But the recipe I gave is what I, personally, must do these days in order to use BBS. If I do not authorize the disqus scripts on the BB page, enabling the worldssl scripts on the BBS page does no good. Without actually looking or anything I will WAG that the worldssl scripts chain or embed scripts on disqus.com?

@deanputney and @beschizza I think this code can be removed from BB proper:

<!-- Disqus javascript -->
<script type="text/javascript">
    var disqus_shortname = 'boingboing'; // required: replace example with your forum shortname
    /* * * DON'T EDIT BELOW THIS LINE * * */
    (function () {
        var s = document.createElement('script'); s.async = true;
        s.type = 'text/javascript';
        s.src = 'http://' + disqus_shortname + '.disqus.com/count.js';
        (document.getElementsByTagName('HEAD')[0] || document.getElementsByTagName('BODY')[0]).appendChild(s);
    }());
</script>

Yep, that guy needs to go away. Thanks!

1 Like

You’re welcome. Thanks for the Koessler book!

@codinghorror: It works now without any disqus at all. I still have BB and worldssl.net permitted.

I’ll revise the head post accordingly anon.

1 Like

Excellent, thanks for bringing that to our attention!

1 Like

@deanputney & @beschizza - there is a disqus script on http://boingboing.net/2014/03/06/the-anxiety-of-unplugging-and.html that you prolly don’t want, looks just like the js that @codinghorror quoted above.

Thank you. We’re just about to revise our feature design anyway!

¡de nada!

This topic was automatically closed after 1102 days. New replies are no longer allowed.