Making our entertainment in a Capitalist system

A thread to discuss how entertainment is made in the global economy…

2 Likes

from

11 Likes

Is this specific to Netflix?
Regular networks have seasons that go on and on if they’re popular.
This is a dirty trick to pull.

(I tried a quick search but got page after page of subscription plans).

4 Likes

I think maybe it might be more common with streamers? But I can’t say for sure…

Yep… but you know how capital is always looking for ways to screw over labor, so… I guess not too surprising that corporations that are “innovating” in the field of entertainment (meaning the relatively recent shift to streaming dominating our TV’/movie watching) while also seeking new and innovative ways to fuck over workers…

As I’m sure you remember from your British history, the Luddite revolt was just about this - about employers using new technology to disrupt skilled labor and pay workers less…

4 Likes

Isn’t the reason lots of long running shows suddenly added on a last season by splitting one in two and making it longer more or less this? Tying people up on old contracts while you, the executive producers whose names pad out the credits to the irritation of viewers who skip them, you make new money and keep more of it?

From my memory it sure wasn’t the writing that dictated those extra half seasons.

5 Likes

Yes, good bloody point. An even dirtier trick.
:unamused:

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.