Malibu to solve homelessness by moving people elsewhere

Originally published at: Malibu to solve homelessness by moving people elsewhere | Boing Boing

8 Likes

fuck my life bang head GIF

27 Likes

What the WHAT?

26 Likes

He needed to add “Jerk off.”

12 Likes

Confused Harry Potter GIF

15 Likes

What else can you do, turn them into street furniture?

I was going to add “or public art installations” but then remembered this scene from Roger & Me.

6 Likes

So, the US-equivalent of Siberia for them, then?

9 Likes

It would not be the first time that Californians were rounded up and taken to a US-run concentration camp.

34 Likes

Ah, yes, the old, “people are homeless because they can’t afford homes within reasonable distance to decent jobs, so let’s move them out into the boonies without public transportation to job centers and then scorn them for not having jobs,” tactic.
So fucking cruel.

29 Likes

Repeat after me:
Affordable housing and social services.

Help the damn people.

16 Likes

Well, as a strategy it’s an oldie but goodie. Works about as well as you would expect.

1 Like

And if they don’t accept the free ride out of town and keep walking?

8 Likes

20 miles outside the city limits

So…make it Ventura or Redondo Beach’s problem?

nancy carell not a good idea GIF

15 Likes

Malibu to solve homelessness by moving people elsewhere

So, like everywhere else in the US

14 Likes

This is a shitty “solution” to a serious problem, but Jesus, I still laugh every time I see that Lebowski clip.

5 Likes

In his Malibu world, all homeless people have immediately actionable solutions when it comes to addressing their homelessness.

5 Likes

Angry The Big Lebowski GIF by The Good Films

5 Likes

Silverstein also said that he did not want any City funding to go towards the ASL and that it should instead be funded through county, state or federal money.

Fuck that! As a CA resident, I’ll be bringing this story to the attention of my Congresspeople and the LA County elected officials. I will also remind them that California allows recall elections.

13 Likes

“I don’t believe that the people of Malibu have a moral obligation to help people who come to Malibu in an unhoused state and choose to impose themselves on our residents.”

My neighborhood is in a dirty industrial part of town that most people would claim is a shit hole as they pass by it on the interstate to work. But what they fail to see is my neighborhood is processing THEIR old cars, processing their scrap metal, processing their trash, processing their solid waste, creating their energy, distributing the vast majority of food and goods, and carrying a large part of the homeless burden so other neighborhoods don’t have to be bothered by it.

But all they see is a shit hole and seldom realize it is their shit too.

24 Likes

“For heaven’s sake, if you don’t have a private villa to sleep in then why don’t you just book a suite at the Surfrider Hotel? It’s like you’re not even trying to find a solution.”

10 Likes