Man angry at famous woman's appointment to literary society

Oh wow! I didn’t recognize her. That movie was fantastic, and certainly she was good in it. (Though obviously the various Heath Ledgers kind of stole the show)

Yeah, but if I told you that “Alright, alright, alright!” is among the most memorable lines of film dialogue ever written, without context, it’d sound kind of silly. I’m not saying that the line sounds good to me, (though I have a strong feeling that the “like” after “men” was probably actually “my”) but without context you can’t judge a line of dialogue. For all we know the point of the line was to make the character saying it seem absurd or foolish.

12 Likes

For those who think Hollands rant is too long, I´ll sum it up for you:
“Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeghhr, me no like woman!”

1 Like

I tend to go out to movies that are not too violent to bring the kids to, or save my babysitting resources for things I’m really excited about. I get pretty stressed out by violent movies, and my daughter even more so. We’ve watched the original trilogy together and enjoyed them, but the big massacre scene at the start of The Force Awakens would have been way too much for her.

I’m not that big of a Star Wars fan either, so it hasn’t made it to the top of the arrange-a-babysitter list yet.

2 Likes

I guess I just skimmed the story to have missed this. This is really over the top. Never blame a man for what you can blame a woman for.

15 Likes

If his tone wasn’t so petulant, I’d wonder if he was attempting a bit of performance art in irony so thick you could taste it.

4 Likes

Indeed, a “gentleman” if ever there were.

2 Likes

as much as I might appreciate the sentiment, it does give me pause to find myself in agreement with a fussbudget.

No one’s that clever

11 Likes

I am aware of who Lily Cole is and think she would do a great job. No idea who the other guy is.

2 Likes

here’s a long review that predates the current controversy

http://www.victorianweb.org/authors/bronte/abronte/moody.html

its concluding paragraph is this.

Holland’s book is beautifully written, a labor of love. He makes a strong case for valuing Anne Brontë’s work as strongly as that of her sisters, for her courage and independent outlook. It is a fine introductory volume for readers just becoming acquainted with the Brontēs, and there is much analysis to interest students and expert scholars. The medical realities of Haworth as set out by Holland are alone worth reading the book for. Holland is genuine in wanting to spread the word about Anne Brontē and get more people reading her novels and poetry. He is otherwise a best-selling author, professional copywriter and active member of the Brontë Society. He has opened a blog where he periodically offers pictures and interesting commentary on the Brontës and issues related to them (see bibliography).

Frankly, I don’t know enough about the Brontës to properly comment. Indeed, I haven’t actually read the book myself.

I think it highly likely that Nick Holland actually has a case…

4 Likes

Perhaps, though bringing in new and younger people is very important to keep things relevant. If no one is interested in Bronte’s works then it might as well be relegated to a dark bin at a library where no one but some old scholar cares. I read the guy’s letter almost as a tempter tantrum, there are more constructive ways of dissenting than how he went about it even if it has a legitimate point.

9 Likes

/s

2 Likes

Are you trying to make me feel old?

source

I’m sure that some underemployed postdocs have published on the brontës; perhaps you should ask them.

3 Likes

Oh I know. And even if someone somewhere were, this transparent asshat isn’t.

If he ever did, he undercut himself by this…

That alone makes his misogyny more crystal clear than his choice of words in his criticism ever could.

14 Likes

This headline seems to be 34 characters too long…

1 Like

I’m coming from someone who helped run a gaming community, and i’ve been moderator for a number of groups over the years. A constant struggle is building the current community and members and making them feel invested but also making sure that new members feel welcome because fresh blood is critical in stopping stagnation and elitism.

Judging by this guy’s complaints he comes across as sexist and elitist. I could be wrong.

3 Likes

She was a superbly scary mermaid/siren thing in Doctor Who.

3 Likes

Isn’t this kind of dismissive attitude the reason the Brontes wrote under male pen names?

7 Likes

Cole seems to have been a good student and actress. What the stories don’t contain is any indication of what her connection to the Brontes were, other than having been an arts major in school. Any idea why did the Society reached out to her in particular (and not, say, to Juliette Binoche, who has played a Bronte)? If it was just a matter of “find wealthy popular celebrity to raise our profile”, the way some obscure diseases get actors to support their cause, then maybe the angry young man has a point.

4 Likes

Cole’s most recent imdb credit is “party girl lovey”, The Last Jedi.

binoche is 53; the “angry young man” is 48.

face, it, we’re old.