Man arrested for faking heart attack to avoid his dinner bill at more than 20 restaurants

Originally published at: Man arrested for faking heart attack to avoid his dinner bill at more than 20 restaurants | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Heart Attack Fred Sanford GIF by MOODMAN

22 Likes

I was wondering if this would work only in a country with universal health care, as the hospital bill would likely be greater than the meal.

8 Likes

Hell, in the US, the ambulance bill alone might be enough to bankrupt you.

16 Likes

offer2

7 Likes

That scam wouldn’t work here, because the ambulance bill is so much more than most food bills.

6 Likes

In '96, I owed over $600 for an ambulance ride of one city block, because I needed a backboard.

6 Likes

$37?!? I wants to live there!

Also, what a jackass. It wouldn’t make him a better person, but the smarter scammer would at least hop on a train to scam restaurants in other areas instead of, as we say, shitting where he eats.

10 Likes

I’m now reminded of a homeless guy in Austin who would prey on newly homeless women by asking them out to dinner and then excusing himself to go to the bathroom, and stiffing them with the check.
The kicker was he was profoundly deaf and would use that as the sympathy play.

1 Like

I was just in the hospital for 6 days. The hospital billed my insurance $67K, insurance got it knocked down to $22K, and with my (union negotiated) insurance I’m on the hook for about $1K (the remainder of my out-of-pocket yearly maximum, thankfully I set my FSA to cover out-of-pocket maximum so I don’t have to cough it up out of my checking account), which is still a lot, but I can’t imagine what I would do if it were without this insurance and the ability to have access to products like FSAs and HSAs.

2 Likes

He shouldn’t , but it would be hilarious if he tried that in court.

3 Likes

Agreed.
In this day and age, I could see a whole web series of this guy, this “one trick pony,” pulling his one move in a bunch of situations. Court, speeding ticket, family reunion…

3 Likes

When I had a heart attack a couple of years ago, I didn’t need an ambulance ride to the hospital. However, the hospital I went to couldn’t do the cardiac catheterization/stent procedure so they transferred me to a sister hospital about 15 miles away. Because I was a cardiac patient, they were required to have an RN in the ambulance with me, and it had to be a special ambulance, even though I was stable. Fortunately, I have good insurance. I saw the bill, though. That ambulance ride was $20,000.

3 Likes

Would someone be kind enough to translate into Spanish “‘Lizabeth I’m comin’ to join ya”?

3 Likes

I’m broken-hearted hearing that

2 Likes

Earlier in life, was he a football player?

3Ya8l

6 Likes

Have a plan.

Work the plan.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.