Man arrested twice for criticizing police sues Iowa town for violating his constitutional rights

Originally published at: Man arrested twice for criticizing police sues Iowa town for violating his constitutional rights | Boing Boing

13 Likes

Bad Apples spread rot everything they touch.

21 Likes

Anyone with a high school diploma should know that having your political opponents arrested WITHOUT CAUSE OR DUE PROCESS is a textbook example of violating someone’s First Amendment rights and we’re confident that the courts will agree.

Had to fix that for the people at the Institute for Justice and writers at Reason. Being a political opponent doesn’t automatically make you immune from prosecution or investigation, despite what some of our former elected officials believe.

26 Likes

@frauenfelder - I think you mean Petersen.

Anyway, kudos to Noah Petersen. That takes real bravery. I hope the town, mayor and police have to pay for this and that Noah doesn’t suffer any more violations.

24 Likes

So how do you have citizen presentations at City Hall , yet have rules that you can’t criticize City Hall ? Wonderful system.

18 Likes

For the people in the back that keep denying what their eyes keep showing them time after time: ACAB.

12 Likes

Well thank you sir for trying that in a small town…

Hope he wins his case.

30 Likes

Such a scenario is described faithfully by Douglas Adams in Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. c.f. “The plans were on display.” tl;dr The system works as intended.

10 Likes

Wow. You’d think IJ would make sure they qualified that statement, given current events and the political climate.

4 Likes

Given both charges were dropped, he has a pretty good chance.
That’s proof of “without cause” is it not?

9 Likes

Good for him.
Doing the right thing isn’t always easy or popular.

6 Likes

a while back, the price tag for settling violated constitutional rights was around $30k. i imagine that number is a bit higher now with inflation and all.

3 Likes

Thereby proving his point.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.