Man attempts to sharpen a dollar-store kitchen knife

very dull 320. Fresh 320 is no good and the higher grit stuff changes so fast it’s useless. I like a 320 belt that’s worked a hard wood like cocobolo and picked up a bit of burn. It makes a sharpening belt that I can use in just 1 pass on each side to get what I want.

The main difference I have noticed between a hollow grind and an angle is that the hollow dulls much faster.

1 Like

So Metal!

Also: Fucking hell I’d drink anything that dude would be willing to serve me. I’d probably be okay just watching him work as well.

4 Likes
3 Likes

Just for the sake of horrifying the gathering of knife-fetishists :wink: upthread, here’s the “edge” of my work knife:

It’s mostly used for slashing vines, scraping bark and severing fine root networks,

5 Likes

I use a Ka-Bar for that sort of thing, but its not as used as yours and I do sharpen it now and then.

I just made like 20 magic wands with it this summer.

My favourite stabby bush tool doesn’t really have an edge at all:

Gyprock knife; excellent destroyer of recalcitrant shrubbery.

5 Likes

Not horrified at all. Tools are made to be used. Extra points for choosing a good design for the job, not some Rambo fantasy thing.

My gardening knife, used for cutting sod, dividing root balls, trimming rhubarb stalks, etc is something along the same lines.

3 Likes

Or just several grades of sandpaper and a flat surface like a piece of glass. (A mouse pad works well for getting a convex surface.) Cheaper, and less chance of overheating the metal if you’re inexperienced or unobservant (like me).

I love Bahco tools. I have a Bahco saw, a Bahco scraper, and two sets of Bahco screwdrivers (best I’ve ever owned). Pity that Snap-On bought them.

1 Like

Good choice for the job! But if we’re trying to apall people my plastering knife should do the trick…

It was a gift, super snooty famous name high-end German (Austrian?) kitchen knife, but badly hardened brittle piece of crap. I’ve broken the tip off twice. So now I hammer it into walls to start cuts in old plaster :stuck_out_tongue:

I think that’s the most cost-effective way to get a truly perfect angled edge. This is an 1.5" Wm Butcher framing chisel:

When I found it, it hadn’t been sharpened in decades (possibly a century) but it was worth cleaning up; it’s got a mirror edge now.

3 Likes

9 Likes

The hard part is always getting the angle right; that’s what edgepros and lanskys give you.

Or this guy; I think his setup is just wonderful:

1 Like

10 Likes

In my defense, I only said that to annoy everyone.

7 Likes

Yes, those types of blade are great for sawing through woody things.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.