Man dies after bathtub phone charger shock

I’ve seen a defective one spitting sparks with the water!

4 Likes

That would have been useful for bathing at night, since I had no other source of light (until I brought the aforementioned lamp in).

6 Likes

I remember fondly the shower in our rental house in Ensenada BC in 1973. The faucet handles would shock you, so best to turn the water on and off using the shower curtain as an insulator for your hand.

One day the electrician was diagnosing the non-working washing machine outlet on the rear of the house (near the bathroom). He pulled out the outlet from the box, and two feet of black and white wire came out of the conduit, with rusty ends. We all kind of looked at each other and realized that life in Mexico is different from life in the USA.

7 Likes

I kinda hope he was listening to white rabbit.

4 Likes

“…and of course I have my plastic slippers on so the electricity doesn’t go to ground through my body.”

See, that’s the big difference between this and a guy in a bathtub. Guy in a bathtub is likely to be VERY well grounded.

In a clawfoot tub on a dry wooden floor, maybe not - but be sure you don’t touch a faucet handle!

I’ve been in a flood where the water submerged live electrical equipment, and the water felt tingly — at which point I was veeeeerrry careful not to touch anything that might provide a better ground while getting out of the water in a hurry.

(Also note that plastic slippers may save you from domestic mains voltage, but don’t depend on them with high-voltage. I’ve seen the power from a 16kv line arc straight through a pair of urethane-foam flip-flops.)

3 Likes

P=IV, which means that for a higher voltage, you need less current to deliver the same amount of power. As someone else pointed out, less current = smaller diameter wire, etc.

That guy is actually very intelligent.

Yeah, the pipes (drain included) are likely very well grounded, so the whole thing is.

2 Likes

No argument here. Like I said, self-confessed.

1 Like

“I assure you, I will not be inserting this into my rectum.”

This is the best video I’ve seen all week!

1 Like

Although technically accurate (the best kind of accurate!) it’s equally accurate to say “a puppy will kill you just as easily as a bullet if it takes the right path through your body”.

It has been my personal experience that 240v is more dangerous than 120v in practice. And speaking as a person who has been shocked by both, it hurts significantly more! But they both certainly can kill you if you don’t know what you are doing.

Hopefully I’m going to be rewiring a 30 amp 240 volt AC circuit later this evening, because I put the bloody dryer outlet for the new laundry in exactly the wrong spot about a year ago, when the location of the vent stack was still hypothetical. Grumble grumble grumble.

1 Like

At the same time though a demonstration would be better, but yeah it would seem like that sort of logic, with the demonstration, would be enough. That said, I’m a biologist, not a lawyer.

it’s only dangerous when you get to 51.
that’s why they’re sold as a package of 50.

5 Likes

No it can’t. Send it from the tub. Charge your phone it’s all good.

2 Likes

Are… are you Mike Pence?

5 Likes

If it was a fancy charger. An awful lot of the cheap circuits use a simple capacitive dropper. It’s entertaining to watch bigclivedotcom take apart some of the death-trap junk that’s out there.

(That one isn’t a dropper. I was looking for a representative one and got distracted.)

5 Likes

Bathrooms in Canada are required to have a receptacle next to, but not over, the sink. This outlet must be GFCI protected. Outlets must be at least one metre from a tub or shower stall.

2 Likes

Other reasons include a hundred years of history and a decided lack of willing to redo an entire country’s. Infrastructure because one guy was a moron.

We have car wrecks every day, why doesn’t every car have a speed limiter connected to the GPS that ensures nobody speeds?

2 Likes

Electric teakettles work much better at the higher voltage.

5 Likes

I make short extension cords like that all the time, but only for low-voltage wall warts so they don’t unnecessarily block outlets.

3 Likes

Could have used candles. More romantic, too!

2 Likes

3 Likes