Man injured when his oxygen tank explodes, after he pounded on it with a hammer

Originally published at: Man injured when his oxygen tank explodes, after he pounded on it with a hammer | Boing Boing

2 Likes

That dude never played Bioshock

5 Likes

Obviously some sort of rocket surgeon.

15 Likes
6 Likes

The gentleman’s name has now been released: a certain Mr. Wile E. Coyote.

The manufacturer of the oxygen tank is, of course:

https://www.acmedeq.com/products/home-oxygen/

19 Likes

Mighty lucky he was only injured. The training videos for rescue oxygen tanks like that are (accurately) terrifying.

20 Likes

Wile E. Coyote, Super Genius.

14 Likes

10 Likes

As someone who used HPA tanks for many years - WHAT? Dude is lucky to be alive. Since those tanks I don’t see fiber wrapped, they must be at a relatively low pressure, around 1200psi I am guessing?

5 Likes

The man was taken to the hospital with burns.

They should check him for stupidity too. Just to be safe…

13 Likes

I really need to know why…

6 Likes

This came to mind first:

14 Likes

Reminds me of a scene I witnessed in the parking lot of a Grateful Dead show in the early 1990s. The guy was selling nitrous balloons from a big tank to a group of Deadheads. The laughing gas wasn’t flowing and he started beating on the valve with a pipe wrench. Everyone else took two or three big steps back. Even these super-high kids instinctively saw the danger.

17 Likes

Well, what did he expect would happen?

4 Likes

The man was pounding on an oxygen tank with a hammer.
He was not ok to begin with.

19 Likes

Reminds me of an old joke:

“You know, they say that smoking will lead to slow, drawn-out deaths, but that wasn’t the case with my uncle at all. He was a lifelong smoker, and when his time came it was all over very quickly. Even enjoyed a smoke on his last day, when his oxygen tent suddenly exploded in a freak accident.”

10 Likes

To squeeze the last few drops out, that’s why. Works for propane too. /s

6 Likes

… and acetylene, and I suppose for hydrogen, but I haven’t tried hydrogen yet.

3 Likes
7 Likes

Collected in Ian Frazier’s book “Coyote v. Acme”, the cover of which just perfect:

8 Likes