Man lost at sea for 24 days survives on ketchup and stock cubes

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2023/01/20/man-lost-at-sea-for-24-days-survives-on-ketchup-and-stock-cubes.html

6 Likes

Thankfully he was able to recall his college culinary skills to survive.

27 Likes

ColOmbia!

10 Likes

“Twenty four days — no land, nobody to talk to. Don’t know what to do, don’t know where you are,” he said. “It was rough.”

– a doctoral candidate

8 Likes

He should have yelled out “Elon Musk is a moron!”, and when a weird fan appeared, grab him.

21 Likes

He’s lucky he had the water handy: stock cubes taste better than seawater; but otherwise share many of its vices in terms of survival.

13 Likes

Not sure if it’s an autocorrect thing but it bugs the crap out of me to routinely see Columbia instead of Colombia.

5 Likes

Not a record, though.

4 Likes

needs more @Carla_Sinclair

120 nautical miles off the coast of Columbia.

Colombia not Columbia

2 Likes

Maybe He could try other than the tomato one.

5 Likes

How did he not notice where the sun rose and set for 24 days? Heading back in a westerly direction would have at least gotten him closer to the islands there, which makes it more likely he’d see another boat.

3 Likes

That would be a Clown Fish.

1 Like

See, I did the same thing for about eight years, and at the end of it, they made me write a book and gave me a Ph.D. for it.

1 Like

I have questions. The boat had a sail? The sun continued to rise with its usual regularity?

I’ve been at sea a lot, and sitting around waiting for rescue is not a good choice. If you have a way to move your boat, use it.

3 Likes

Could switch to mayonnaise. They put it on French fries in Holland.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.