Man pretended to be Stanford student, lived in dorms for a year

Originally published at: Man pretended to be Stanford student, lived in dorms for a year | Boing Boing

4 Likes

Caught long before he could achieve legendary status on campus. It takes Real Genius to make that happen.

30 Likes

“Kacey Logan '24”? I’m assuming she was 24 years old, not 24 feet tall or born in '24.

4 Likes

I suspect in collegiate jargon they’re telling us she expects to graduate in 2024

16 Likes

He may have made the mistake of offering use of his pajamas too soon.

5 Likes

:confused: don’t they have colleges to squat at a LOT closer to home?
i knew a guy in college who had been ‘going to school’ for four years, with his parents paying room, board, and tuition the whole time. The only thing was he would drop out of every class first week of term and just fuck off the whole time. He was really freaking out that 4th year as his parents were planning a huge trip to come see their son graduate.

10 Likes

Steve Jobs famously continued “informally” attending classes at Stanford after he dropped out of the University during his freshman year but I don’t think he was bold enough to try living rent-free in the dorms.

10 Likes

Would you want to squat near your parents in Bumblefuck, Minnebraska, or live for free with brilliant kids in Silicon Valley?

10 Likes

He should have taken a job as a custodian, then solved that one math problem and maybe won a Fields medal.

It’s not his fault. It’s not his fault. It’s not his fault.

10 Likes

It may be a matter of uniqueness rather than endurance. It’ll take a hell of a lot for Stanford to catch up to Berkeley.

2 Likes

I think you got the date wrong. It can not be January 2002 with students graduating in 2024.

It’s true that Berkeley has a lot of odd characters. Not the least of which is the big green guy who got created in the Berkeley Nuclear Biotechnology Institute back in 2003.

But Stanford has the Hoover Institution, so they’re definitely more prolific in the creation of monsters.

7 Likes

There has to be an '80s movie with this as a plot!

I’m guessing, with Helen Slater, Andrew McCarthy and Charlie Sheen?

8 Likes

It wasn’t Stanford. It was Reed College in Portland, OR.

Edited to add, “a school almost as expensive as Stanford”
@2:00 ish

3 Likes

Oh, right. He just told the story at his commencement speech at Stanford.

4 Likes

As a former journalist, that seems a bit odd to me. Guess I better update my AP stylebook!

He picked the wrong university.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.