Man stole a massive rare coin collection and dropped much of it into a Coinstar machine

‘Crackhead logic’, there.

2 Likes

No he’s not crazy. Just stupid

1 Like

Or people that age are starting to die off (someone who was economically active in 1965 is at least 70) and their kids or grandkids are dumping their small change jars into Coinstar machines or taking the coins to the bank without checking for pre-1965 quarters first.

1 Like

It seems like Johnson was way too careless with the coin collection if it was worth the estimated amount. He could have bought a real safe cheaply instead of locking a cabinet.

It absolutely is a ridiculous amount of money they take. And yet I’ve resorted to it because my bank is a jerk and they won’t take coins unless I roll them. (Like the Seinfeld episode) so in the end I have to decide - do I waste hours doing that or do I give coin star a cut. I hate it, but I’ve done it. My old small hometown bank used to do it for free and I think I recall that I saw a commerce bank that would do it free with a machine in their lobby, and believe me I’ve considered changing banks for just this reason. But if I was a down and out drug addict I probably wouldn’t have a bank account at all I’m guessing…

(I’m trying to drop most of my pocket change in tip jars these days rather than hoarding it which is my general habit. I still seem to be accumulating it in spite of myself)

(And I’m obviously talking about non valuable coins here. Not supposedly valuable ones… which is probably even more of a pain in the ass to get rid of without looking really suspicious.

1 Like

We drop change into a change bowl. When it starts getting full, we use the contents of the change bowl to pay for take out. This doesn’t happen very often because 90% of the time I just use Interac debit to pay for stuff, so my need to deal with cash and change is pretty infrequent. I pity my poor American friends who don’t have access to a sensible non-cash payment method that’s accepted even at stores that can’t afford to accept credit cards with their 3% fee.

I use credit or debit most of the time myself. Most places accept cash, but that too seems crazy… to like buy a pizza with a bag of coins. Hahah. That’s why I say I’m trying to put my change in the tip jars more often to just avoid the problem from the start.

It’s not crazy. A few places only accept cash, so I still need to get money from the ATM every so often. The loose change that I get back after buying something with cash doesn’t get counted in the monthly budget, so using it to buy takeout is like getting a treat for free.

i dont mean it seems crazy to pay with cash or crazy to use un-budgeted money. That’s great (when i have used coinstar it was before a vacation or when i was desperateley broke and needed a little extra cash to buy groceries) I mean it seems crazy to make the cashier have to count a whole bunch of coins. Maybe if it was all quarters or dollar coins it wouldn’t be bad, but once you start making people count a whole bunch of pennies and nickels it seems cruel.

I would have thought that Coinstar machines would see even regular US dollar coins so rarely that it wouldn’t be worthwhile to design the machines to accommodate them. But the machines are probably sufficiently complex already that it doesn’t add that much to the manufacturing costs.

What are these “pennies” you speak of? We haven’t had to deal with those useless things for years.

1 Like

Yeah I have a few in my current stockpile.

Pennies ceased to be currency in Canada a few years ago. America, of course, continues to make them because the government buys tons of metal to make pennies and those metal merchants need to have their businesses supported by the government.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.