Man stole a massive rare coin collection and dropped much of it into a Coinstar machine

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/02/26/man-stole-a-massive-rare-coin.html

2 Likes

That means if he dropped in the 33 presidential coins, valued at $1,000 each, he got about $29.30.

No, that means he’s an idiot.

24 Likes

So, if they know where he dropped them off, any chance they can get at least some of them back from the machines?

5 Likes

It’s technically stolen property so I’m guessing the police can use some leverage to get them back. Hopefully the Coinstar guy has not already emptied the machine and dumped the coins in whatever system they use.

3 Likes

Before about 10 years ago, I don’t remember seeing a pre-1965 Quarter* in the wild – now I seem to get one or so a year. I don’t think I’m just looking for them more, I think more tweakers are robbing grandma’s coin buckets.

• For folks outside the USA, in 1965, the US mint stopped producing mostly-silver quarters and times, and the silver ones very quickly disappeared from circulation. They’re worth ~10x face value in silver, so it’s hardly big money if you find one, but a fun little event when you do.
6 Likes

Is he crazy? Coinstar takes a ridiculous percentage cut off the face value.

11 Likes

I think if he had done that, we wouldn’t be hearing about this.

No. He’s not crazy. This is the reality of fencing stolen goods and laundering money. It’s expensive. The coinstar return is excellent as these things go. Particularly for the coins that are only worth a little more than face value.

4 Likes

When my dad was a kid, he had a bunch of rare turn of the century pennies that were supposedly quite valuable. One day, his sister took them all to the corner store and bought bubble gum with them. He still hasn’t forgiven her.

12 Likes

Truly a criminal mastermind.

6 Likes

The new crackhead math:

• Steal item worth $1,000
  • Sell it for $10
  • Get high
3 Likes

Yet he missed the most valuable item in the whole office…

4 Likes

you forgot:
Do $10,000 damage in the process.

7 Likes

If his experiences using the coinstar machines are anything like mine, all those uncommon coins just got rejected anyways.

2 Likes

Everyone knows Coinstar is a ripoff, so he’s dumb x2.

2 Likes

I would deliver unto that supremely stupid bastard such a memorable ass beating that he would feel, if conscious, that he had received his moneys worth. I truly despise thieves and will never forgive the stupid little punk who stole about 12 silver dollars which he sold for his meth buzz. The sentimental connection to the family and friend who gifted me those coins could never be replaced. Neither will his teeth if I get the chance.

1 Like

5f7d3a5428418c2f

1 Like

I was wondering about that too. If the coins were old and/or foreign and didn’t match current US specifications for weight and size, the machine should have just spit them out again.

Take something worth $1000, go for the quick turnaround without caring what you have and get $1 in return.

If that’s not a metaphor for Trump’s economic policies I don’t know what is.

5 Likes

Not in Florida.

1 Like