Man uses a lucky coin to win $4-million from scratch ticket -- not once, but twice

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/06/23/man-uses-a-lucky-coin-to-win.html

3 Likes

I bet he has an ancestor named Rosencrantz.

9 Likes

its Biff…

3 Likes
8 Likes

I didn’t realize Gray’s Sports Almanac included a list of serial numbers for winning scratcher tickets.

7 Likes

A lucky coin for your thoughts.

5 Likes

“You don’t think you’ll win millions once"

and that would be enough

2 Likes

I concede the premise of a coin embued with the arcane ability to increase the scratcher’s luck is far more sound.

5 Likes

Or a living relative that works for the lottery…

8 Likes

I read this as three years after a big win, and he’s still playing. :grimacing:

6 Likes
3 Likes

Exactly what came to my mind as well. If it’s too good to be true, the FBI is probably checking it out.

2 Likes

It was an innocent coincidence, nothing more!

4 Likes

Yeah, the Lottery is essentially a tax on people who are bad at math. But hey, lucky coin.

6 Likes

The first ticket can arguably be justified, as you have 0% chance of winning if you don’t buy it, but anything after that is absolutely a waste of money. Also, never buy scratch cards, because the odds are even more against you than with lottery tickets and they are bad for psychological reasons.

I haven’t bought a lottery ticket in over 20 years though, and I only bought that because it was the least damaging way of celebrating becoming 16 (the alternative was cigarettes).

5 Likes

Except that’s how this dude won twice. Him and his lucky coin.

Personally, I have bought fewer than 10 lottery tickets in my lifetime and that was because I’d noticed the buzz around the huge payoff amount and figured one ticket won’t hurt. And really, overall, it didn’t. A couple times I joined in on work lottery pools. Those didn’t amount to anything either.

As for scratch off tickets, I have a relative or two who give me some on my birthday or at Christmas, and have never won more than $5 on those.

2 Likes

Another opportunity to learn about Survivorship Bias

4 Likes

I’ve bought more than 10, but not much more. Like you, I hear the buzz around a huge payout and I figure why not. Winning stupid amounts of money would be… interesting.

2 Likes

You can watch your money disappear in this LA Times Lotto Simulator. I actually hit $50K on an investment of about $30K, but that was itself a fluke

3 Likes

7 Likes