Man who filmed self parachuting from troubled plane deliberately crashed it, says FAA

Originally published at: Man who filmed self parachuting from troubled plane deliberately crashed it, says FAA | Boing Boing

9 Likes

Gilbert Gottfried What An Asshole GIF

35 Likes

Between this and the whole masking mayhem in the skies thing, it’s become painfully obvious that the FAA is missing some key enforcement tools.

34 Likes

Who knew that having one major political party constantly trying to gut public institutions would have a negative impact on those institutions… /s

39 Likes

When someone’s willing to sacrifice an airplane for the sake of YT views…yikes.

24 Likes

He was probably expecting an insurance payout.

Not anymore.

29 Likes

I thought that they could fine people pretty heavily for dropping stuff out of an airplane? Well, he dropped the whole airplane.

21 Likes

Ahh. I was trying to figure out how the YouTube views could come anywhere near paying for the airplane.

11 Likes

The fact that the plane was an antique from the 1940’s doesn’t make it any better. It’s like buying a vintage car and ramming it into a wall just for fun.

17 Likes

Surely there must be some agency that can prosecute him for crashing a plane into a freaking national forest!

And how did he expect to get away with this? Aren’t plane accident post mortems always incredibly thorough?

13 Likes

boy, if he had impaled himself on some of those branches and bled out on camera that would have really racked up the likes! what an asshole.

5 Likes

Ow! My Balls! was naïve and rather tame, in hindsight.

12 Likes

I suspect that many internet celebrities and ‘influencers’ are underestimated in terms of how much brand management and marketing and such is required to make being what they are actually pay(compared to people who do that sort of work in a 9-5 capacity for larger companies and, while not generally beloved, are not regarded as obnoxious hypertrophied children); I do not suspect that many of them are concealing hidden depths of general-purpose brilliance or understanding of the areas of strength and weakness of the American administrative state.

6 Likes

Is there anything in the YouTube TOS that could nail him?

Hit him where it really hurts.

6 Likes

They clipped his wings.

6 Likes

I’d argue it’s even worse than that.

• Vintage planes are rarer and more irreplaceable than most vintage cars.
  • crashes in California forest land risks sparking devastating fires.
  • Depending on the circumstances intentionally ramming a wall could potentially be done with little to no risk to bystanders. That’s not the case with sending a plane gliding free into a forest.

This guy needs to face serious consequences for this idiotic act.

29 Likes

I wonder if there was something expensive needing to be fixed on the plane so he chose to dump it and collect the insurance vs. trying to fix it up. That’d explain the ‘insurance fire’ mentality.

5 Likes

But you’d think getting a pilot’s license would have prepared him to understand the seriousness of messing about with aeronautics and its regulators.

2 Likes

(From the NYTimes article) Among the suspicious activities listed by the FAA, one was ‘After the crash, Mr. Jacob also “recovered and then disposed of the wreckage".’

8 Likes

I may be mistaken here but I was under the impression the FAA never had criminal law enforcement powers of its own, instead relying on things like civil actions and license suspensions to enforce its own rules. So sending someone to jail would require action by federal, state or local law enforcement (which the FAA could support).

6 Likes