Watch: someone recorded a crash landing from inside a plane

Originally published at: Watch: someone recorded a crash landing from inside a plane | Boing Boing

9 Likes

This was not the thrilling bailout from a plane they were expecting when the day started.

12 Likes

I was a little surprised to see that much damage from a landing in a flat field, but any landing you can walk away from is a good one, I guess.

6 Likes

:star: :white_small_square: :white_small_square: :white_small_square: :white_small_square:
Jumped out of the aircraft when told to, but I had barely one second of free fall before hitting the ground. The parachute didn’t even deploy. Will not book again.

28 Likes

I love how the word “fuck” is universal.

Also, I worried that a few of them were going to be smoked by the semi on the road. They seemed to have walked a bit too close to the road for my comfort.

9 Likes

Yeah - get the fuck the other side of the armco, nitwits.

And why did one guy decide to push past several in front of him, to get out before them?

Still, huge kudos to the pilot - and to the guy in charge of the evacuating. Several lives saved. Phew!

4 Likes

Nice, too, that they were all wearing helmets!

4 Likes

The intro text says there were four students (on their first jump) and eight instructors. I think Mr Pushy was one of the students, and was actually being chivvied out of the plane by the instructors.

Maybe someone who speaks Dutch (?) can confirm?

6 Likes

Yes, I was alarmed when the cabin apparently started coming apart. I’m guessing that was when the wing hit (and continued to scrape along) the metal barrier separating the field from the road.

4 Likes

I noticed that the pilot seemed to be wearing a parachute too. If I were getting on that plane I would’ve taken that as a sign of lack of confidence in the aircraft.

5 Likes

I speak Dutch. The guy whose voice we hear seems to be the lead instructor, at least he’s ordering everyone else around. I’ve never skydived, but my guess would be that it’s his job to get everyone else off the plane. The thing he says to the pilot at the end “je bent de koning” means “you’re the king”, ie “the best”.
Some of the other stuff he says:
“doe je riem los” (release your seatbelt)
“rustig” ((be) calm)
“hou je hoofd laag” (keep your head down)
It says in the beginning that a couple of people got kerosine on them, that might be why they’re rushing past others.

13 Likes

The one time I went skydiving, the plane I was in was so rickety that by the time we got to altitude I wanted nothing more than to jump the fuck out of there. I assume that maintenance schedule was intentional.

6 Likes

Appears to be a Good Landing, since everyone walked away from it.
An Excellent Landing is one where the aircraft can be flown afterwards…

5 Likes

Full engine failure at 350 feet?! That’s pretty much a worst-case scenario right there. No time to do anything but pray the field ahead is long enough. Kudos to that pilot!

9 Likes

Where did I read this (based on some study?): The crash passengers most likely to survive are the ones who push aside and climb over everyone else… everyone includes children, the infirm, and the elderly.

3 Likes

He may have had a really tight connection to his next flight.

9 Likes

I liked the bit where everyone hugged. :hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::hugs::heart_eyes:

5 Likes

Check that fuel selector valve. When Caravans were new (1980s) I had a pilot acquaintance die because she didn’t realize she switched to an empty tank and crashed just after taking off. Just enough fuel to run up and get in the air. Lucky bunch.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.