Man who let major HIV outbreak happen put in charge of censoring coronavirus for the White House

I work around gas bottles and that is one of my top fears.

That and my kids dying or being orphaned from lack of action from these buffoons. One fear I have some measure of control over, though.

3 Likes

The BB article on Pence posted yesterday had a comment with a link to the Pence story. He defunded Planned Parenthood, which was also the only HIV testing site. So it was both deliberate, & incompetent, & not just indifferent but actively hostile to certain forms of human life. Our only hope is that Trump/Pence will go down over this…sooner rather than later. The virus knows no party lines.

13 Likes

Well, it does and it doesn’t. I don’t know the ratio for COVID-19, but for the flu more than 70% of people who die are over 65. If COVID-19 had a similar ratio then 2% death ratio would mean a 10% death rate in people over 65. I think in a pandemic scenario that’s actually the end of the Republican party (assuming there are elections, of course).

6 Likes

That is certainly one of the True Believers’ ways of coping with it.
I suspect in certain circles this appointment was met with rapturous applause…

5 Likes

2a59pa

7 Likes

20200228_220138

10 Likes

I recently calculated that if everyone gets it we should expect over 4 million senior citizen deaths–and note that this doesn’t count the fact the health care system will be utterly swamped, if you need a ventilator you’re almost certainly dead.

3 Likes

Yeah, especially considering that there are only about 60,000 of them in the entire country, and they aren’t just spares in a hospital basement siting around waiting for a pandemic to occur. So we don’t have 60,000 available ventilators for covid-19, we have way, way fewer than that.

5 Likes

I was reading a little note about the announcement, and how Pence wiped his nose with his hand and then proceeded to shake everyone’s hand. Yeah, they’re all totally prepared for this.

10 Likes

The very news conference where they announced that Pence was in charge featured contradictory messages from the president and his experts.

Is there any better indication that the only way Pence can ensure consistent messaging is to shut up the experts?

5 Likes

1 Like

More reasons I like Elizabeth Warren. Her response to Pence in charge of Covid-19 crisis.

9 Likes

Well, he works in an administration that not only does not believe science, but is actively opposed to science, so yeah, he would be the perfect person to deal with it, to make sure the eggheads don’t say anything that contradicts the God-Emporer. Have I mentioned lately how much I hate this timeline?

11 Likes

Simply by being the ignorant pipeline of information, from the people who know what they’re talking about, to the public. That’s all it’ll take, but I’m sure that he’ll come up with innovative ways to make it worse.

6 Likes

With those kind of odds, borrow someone’s sleep apnea CPAP. Too bad if they really did need a tube down their throat…

2 Likes

In desperation, that’s actually not bad advice, at least for a little while. Won’t work if you get worse, but hey, gotta save the real interventions for important people, right?

3 Likes

I’m sure that the Republicans will find some method of gerrymandering to maintain their hold on the Slave States.

Last year that would have been a plot point in an especially bleak sci-fi tale. Now it is just advice.

4 Likes
8 Likes

There’s no need to cover up. We just don’t look for it. Easy peasy, no problemo!

6 Likes

It is just “Fake Flus!”

4 Likes