Man who sold 3D-printed guns jailed for 4 years

Originally published at: Man who sold 3D-printed guns jailed for 4 years | Boing Boing

7 Likes

I look forward to a bright new future in which a man can simply 3D print his meth and skip the unnecessary gun step.

33 Likes

Oh No Reaction GIF by Breaking Bad

6 Likes

Not that far away, either.

14 Likes

I suspect the 3D printed guns in this case are like counterfeit money, or crypto. You don’t actually want it, but are willing to exchange for it knowing you have the next sucker already lined up to convert it into real goods/currency for it. Or the meth dealer is dumb / wants a cheap show-piece.

6 Likes

The guns were probably not 3d printed. If you search “80 lower” you’ll find a whole bunch of handgun and AR15 receivers that are 80% complete, and need a few operations on a drill press to become usable. That’s probably what was going on. These 80% lowers work just fine once they are completed. You’re right, a real 3D printed handgun receiver would be barely usable, at least from ordinary 3D printers that people are likely to have. There’s probably some high-end 3D printer out there that can do it, but methhead gun guy won’t have that.

He might have been using the 3d printer for other parts that are not legal - specifically, the auto-sear. I really wish idiots like this would be charged federally for the auto-sear issue.

6 Likes

I wouldn’t trust a 3D printed gun not to explode in my hands, even one I had paid a lot of meth for.

Oh Rob… things have taken off in that realm. It isn’t 2014 or when ever that silly Liberator thing came out. They are making reliable, functional fire arms from 9mm all the way up to .308. Some very inventive engineering to use existing parts kits and to work with in the limitations of the materials (which have also gotten better.)

There are even examples of the FGC-9 being used in Myanmar against the junta.

That said - while it is legal for one to make guns at home (assuming one is otherwise not prohibited), you can’t sell them on a regular basis with out a manufacturing license. And trading for meth is right out.

Or just be able to legally buy amphetamines.

6 Likes

The DOJ press release specifically mentions seizing a “fully functional 3D-printed plastic handgun,” although it’s certainly possible that not all the guns were 3D printed.

7 Likes

Meth and 3D printed guns pair perfectly. Both speak to a certain level of derangement in those who covet them.

5 Likes

Here I was hoping by the mugshot that it was a gun 3d printed using meth as the filament.

4 Likes

It’s a good thing he’s going to prison. You know - prison technology has really advanced in the last few years.

4 Likes

Closest you can find is the Glong - a 3D printed Bong/Glock combo.

4 Likes

I wonder if the lad had a chance to print out some keys or a lock pick before he went to prison

3 Likes

https://www.printables.com/model/379772-no-3-rubber-band-gun-with-mag

7 Likes

3d guns are where libertarian tech bros act out their fantasies.

3 Likes

Who says the BATFE hasn’t referred charges to the feds? They take a really dim view on people making or selling firearms without the required permits and bribes taxes and fees paid…

6 Likes

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.