Map of 900 deaths in the Grand Canyon

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/08/03/map-of-900-deaths-in-the-grand-canyon.html

5 Likes

Scientists have calculated that the chances of something so patently absurd actually existing are millions to one.

But magicians have calculated that million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten.

Terry Pratchett

10 Likes

The map of traffic accidents in my town had ~20 fatal accidents since 2018. 900 is a huge number.

2 Likes

I actually have that book (first print from 2001, prior to the selfie age) and read it a couple of times. The Grand Canyon is not a NP you want to mess with, but a lot of people must have thought otherwise.

the Colorado river and the weather seem at least as dangerous as the cliff edge. Clusters far from the canyon are typically airplane crashes.

Yep. I remember the poor missing camper who they think slept walked his way into the river. Also, they mentions that fixed-wing airplanes should be a huge no-go for air tourism.

eta: changed he to they

2 Likes

I wonder if they’re counting an old classmate, who after leading a rafting trip down the river, managed to drunkenly flip his pickup into a ravine driving back upstream for the next day’s trip.

6 Likes

6 Likes
2 Likes

Just to (hopefully) clarify, the book goes much further back than 2018.

2 Likes

Thanks for featuring my map though sadly it’s now out-of-date. Folks can get a print copy (for free) at links [dot] esri [dot] com [slash] mappyhour and you can find me on social media @kennethfield.

7 Likes
5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.