Map of the world divided into 7 regions, one for each billion inhabitants

I guess what I’m saying is: what are supposed to learn from that image? Maps showing population density as a different shades of color are useful, but comparing one tiny heavily populated area with vast, unconnected, sparsely populated areas is just a curiosity

I think it is just a curiosity, intended to contrast the range of population densities, but without offering any insight. Otherwise interpreted as: Hot, wet, flat places have loads of people, cold steep dry places don’t.

1 Like

Hong Kong or Vancouver?

1 Like

I was thinking the latter; while it could be true for both, I don’t think anyone has ever described HK streets as “deserted”.

See also (I think these’ve all been linked here in the past):

World of Equal Districts
The US redrawn as 50 States with equal population
More people live in this circle than outside it.

1 Like

I’m thinking Antarctica would be a better choice. Then build the ultimate southern border fence around it, and mine the waters. Also no-fly zone over it.

1 Like

Why do you hate penguins?

4 Likes

Make them pay for it!

2 Likes

A penguin killed my father. A penguin in a Susquehanna hat.

3 Likes

High house prices aren’t keeping people from living in Hong Kong. Why would the relatively cheap houses in Vancouver do that here? Any way, the issue isn’t about house prices. It simply isn’t the case that if only housing were cheaper, everyone could live where they wanted. Complaints about house prices are a proxy for complaints about income and wealth inequality, which are the real issues.

2 Likes

You’re right. It is bit of an odd way to demonstrate the contrast. Mapmaker thought it was interesting, I guess.

1 Like

The map is crafty because it appears to color the blue areas starting from the least populated areas and up. Even with 7 billion people, most of the world is uninhabited, or maybe we like to cluster together.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.