The map library

Starting a topic for maps of all kinds. I would guess that many happy mutants are carto-nerds or at least map aficionados. Any maps! Any kind.

I’ll start the map library off appropriately with a map of libraries in the USA:

ETA: These don’t need to be original. I just happen to make maps for work and for fun.

18 Likes

How do you manage -3 books and still remain a library?

9 Likes

There are 13 such libraries in the database where I got the data. They have values of -3 for all fields, suspect it’s a jam value indicating closed or non-functional.

And YES, I knew someone would notice.

12 Likes

Growth of Manhattan Island

Map of flooding during Hurricane Sandy

Note to self: Flooded areas appear to correlate with 1800 to 1980 landfill.

12 Likes

1970 desire lines, Kansas City, MO:

8 Likes

Ag maps I’ve made:

12 Likes

{37900–77047}

sounds really arbitrary. How are bins sized for these sorts of data, so as to avoid exaggerating the difference between two closely sized datapoints?

They’re just quantiles. The buckets are sized by the limits of each quantile range. Each bucket contains the same number of observations.

If I were making these professionally, I’d use a different scale or at least adjust the cutpoints to round numbers.

3 Likes

oh, ok.

And making the bins follow a power law distribution would mean that there would be scattered green dots in a sea of red.

2 Likes

That’s right. Quantile scales help emphasize differences. I could use a equal-interval scale instead, where each bucket is the the same width on the distribution, but can contain any number of observations – and the result would be lots of one color.

Equal-count (quantiles) distribution:

Equal-interval distribution:(the top 4 buckets are almost empty)

7 Likes

Most of the fun maps I find come from Simon Kuestenmacher (https://twitter.com/simongerman600)

19 Likes

Someday someone will return those overdue books.

9 Likes

Domesticated Ducks Per Person? Really? Is this a thing?

Because I’ll need corn.

13 Likes

Oh!!! That’s Iceland tucked off the Bay of Biscay. Gave me quite a pause as I tried to figure out if there was a genre of Atlantean Sad & Cold detective literature that had escaped my notice

8 Likes

American accents / dialects:

from

16 Likes

Mondrian World View.

20 Likes

I like the notion of that being the desire paths of thousands of people who just turned their backs on Kansas City and started walking away in perfectly straight lines, trying to get as far as possible.

14 Likes

11 Likes

As a carto-nerd myself, I’d be derelict in my duties if I didn’t point out this Twitter account:

https://twitter.com/terriblemaps

Which includes wonderful gems like this:

And this subreddit:

And this video:

19 Likes

Not surprising at all…

16 Likes