Map of state-level coronavirus coordination efforts look like apocalyptic sci-fi

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/28/map-of-state-level-coronavirus.html

19 Likes

It looks familiar

18 Likes

This is like those horrible games in grade school where you picked teams. WV and ID are apparently that kid.

(Full disclosure: in grade school, I was that kid.)

25 Likes

This is made slightly more suspect because one of the areas (thin blue diagonal stripes) is just basically the confederacy

9 Likes

In your analogy, WV is that kid that hasn’t had a bath in a few weeks, only has hand-me downs to wear, and is already missing a few teeth. ID is that socially awkward skinny girl with acne, glasses, and is forced to wear a parent-made dress and knee high socks. The thing is, everybody know that WV will never be much more than this, but ID could be pretty cool if she ever ditches the family and goes to college.

(Full disclosure: in grade school, I was also that kid.)

20 Likes

This looks like a pretty good way to split the country up. Agrarian interior, coastal economic hubs, and gulf states. Who would complain except those who aren’t contributing as much as they’re taking?

13 Likes

7 Likes

North Dakota, South Dakota, Iowa, and Missouri have been crossed out.

Are they dead? Or just a no-mans-land?

3 Likes

it’s all fun and games until you realize you live in a liminal space.

ex: NV joined western states compact but it’s in their constitution that they respect the feds, WV juts up between OH and PA etc

4 Likes

Bureau Of Federal Administration

4 Likes

B.O.S. means what - Barrels of Shit?

Balkanization is some scary shit. I never thought I’d live to see the day when the Federal government was this powerful, but this unwilling and/or unable to wield that power in a cogent or meaningful way in the face of a truly national threat.

26 Likes

Makes me think of the burbclaves of Snow Crash, which is decidedly not a good thing.

22 Likes

I can see how you’d think that.

The map is based on the world of the post-apocalyptic Fallout video games. B.O.S. stands for Brotherhood of Steel.

(This one specifically is based on the state of things in Fallout:New Vegas)

6 Likes

Command & Conquer-ass lookin’ map

2 Likes

ROAD-TRIP!!!

26 Likes

SHOTGUN!!!

9 Likes

I’ll handle the music.

19 Likes

The plague zone. Forbidden for all apes to enter.

21 Likes

I call Brotherhood of Nod. I loved the underground and cyborg units.

2 Likes