Map of state-level coronavirus coordination efforts look like apocalyptic sci-fi

I’ll bring the snacks!

5 Likes

they have been surrendered to the bison.

4 Likes

I have heard from multiple people since this whole thing began that we would be better off becoming several smaller countries. I initially balked wholeheartedly at the suggestion. But as the rifts between opposing viewpoints continue to widen, I’m having trouble holding onto my wishes for a united country.

7 Likes

United we stand, divided we fall.

Smol is cute but then what ?

1 Like

The best thing about the state pandemic coordination / civil war II map is that no-one wants Idaho

I live in Idaho, and can confirm this. We have a small population base, concentrated in the SW (with enclaves in the far east and north points of the state). We have no industry to speak of, but a lot of open range land and modest agriculture. We are also one of the most thoroughly Red states around, run by inbred morons from the 1950s - they refuse to even consider pot legalization at any level in the statehouse, and we have explicit permission in state law for parent to refuse lifesaving medical treatment for their children on religious grounds. Ammon Bundy moved here, for fuck’s sake.

Why would anyone want us?

13 Likes

If only there was some single organization or governing body by which the various states could band together in the cause of common interest and defense.

35 Likes

Oh this is great! It will really help clarify how things work once the states declare bankruptcy and start printing their own currency to keep services up and running.

7 Likes

Pretty much, yes.

People get swayed by the shiny power armour and ignore the militaristic ideology, sometimes even fascist depending on the game. At best they are equivalent to isolationist preppers.

I’d rather have the Followers of the Apocalypse, even if they are a bit too idealistic for their own good.

9 Likes

(from Judge Dredd)

6 Likes

Let’s all agree now on what new names we’re going to use for cities in the dystopian future. It takes all the charm out of it if I call them by eroded forms like “N’Yawk” and “Zanjels,” but you go with poetic malapropisms like “New Ark” and “Lost Angels.”

4 Likes

holy bleep, it’s literally Hunger Games

each region against the other in a race while the bodies pile up

all in tribute to trumpkins who will take credit for the successful and blame the local leaders for the failures

btw he just signed something to give meat plants ability to override all safety and ignore lawsuits, if you aren’t going vegetarian or pescetarian, good luck with that

ps. apparently twitter saw this coming a month ago

7 Likes

I mean, all the exasperation by some people - all these fictional maps were drawn with the knowledge of existing borders and cultural regions. No duh real life coalitions would look similar.

2 Likes

It’s a bit confusing–I think it’s difficult to get everything across in a map like this.

Per the text on the map, though, they were asked to join the Midwest Partnership but declined. They are however apparently working together with the other Missouri River states. At least that’s what I’m getting out of it.

No one’s working with Alaska or Hawaii, either, but at least they’re used to it.

4 Likes

These are good “continents” for a game of Risk using the United States

2 Likes

4 Likes

Coastal economic hubs like [checks map] Denver, Chicago, and Austin? :wink:

4 Likes

Funny thing is the one there seems to be a surplus of at the supermarket is meat substitutes. Beyond Meat is going cheap!

Thirteen for me. We got the nukes!

2 Likes

Austin’s gonna be on fire with 120 degree (F) temps soon (or hit with a cat5), Chicago’s gonna be a tundra soon, Denver will run out of potable water soon.

Good point though. Especially about Denver. No sea level rise will be affecting them (or my fam that lives there). I really hope everyone stays safe.

Tough times.

1 Like

They’re in their own private Idaho.

13 Likes

Wait, huh?

2 Likes