South Dakota's Republican governor resisted Coronavirus stay-at-home order, now it's a COVID-19 hot spot

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/14/south-dakota-coronavirus-stay.html

2 Likes

Its really sad people are dying directly because of stupid ignorant elected officials right now.

Ignoring science is literally killing people now because of conservative politics.

Noone deserves to learn a lesson of reality this way

23 Likes

But they never learn . . .

6 Likes

Well shit. Who could’ve seen that coming?

6 Likes

Hopefully their children are smarter than they are. You can only be so dumb for so long, hopefully kids now see this bullshit for what it is.

I can only have faith in humanity so much though if they elected this jackass

8 Likes

Everyone with a functional brain.

Literally any thinking person

3 Likes

"Edicts to combat the spread of the novel coronavirus, Gov. Kristi Noem said, reflected a ‘herd mentality.’

Herd mentality. It appears she followed the wrong herd.

16 Likes

In my opinion, “worshiping” is kind of just “playing” with an imaginary friend. I suppose I just lack faith. Or the right faith? How many non-christians were affected?

Oh, it was a pork processing plant? I can probably guess a few religions that won’t be affected.

2 Likes

That’s the joke.

4 Likes

The price of being an idiot.

8 Likes

Wouldn’t the Smithfield plant have stayed open even under a lockdown order, as it’s producing food?

2 Likes

Yes, but their employees wouldn’t have been out the rest of the time, reducing the chances of any employee getting it in the first place.

7 Likes

Just because producing food is a vital function, doesn’t mean every function at the plant is vital. I’d be surprised if as much as 50% of the 3,700 workers at the plant are employed directly on the line. The rest can go home - many layers of redundant management can go home to annoy their pets and family, routine maintenance can be triaged and most of it deferred for a short while, all project work can stop, sales and marketing can fuck right off (and stay there), HR can do the nothing they usually do equally well from home, and even the production lines can be thinned out. You could have, if you’d wanted to, dropped the number of people at the plant to several hundred, vs several thousand. Yes, production would have been impacted, but as it turns out (surprise!) a large fraction of the staff have the 'vid, AND the plant is completely closed down for at least three days.

Winning?

8 Likes

I thought that, too. Since the plant would be considered essential, it would have spread anyway. But maybe early measures would have stopped the plant from being infected in the first place. I.e., whoever caught it first and exposed it to coworkers may not have caught it to begin with.

4 Likes

Apparently “herd mentality” precisely describes the governor’s intellect.

7 Likes

“Baaaaa, baaaaa…”
Ok, I know that’s flock, not herd, but it amounts to the same thing, and shows these people are flocking stupid.

1 Like

Is it just me, or do all Republican leaders have psychopath eyes?

2 Likes

This is the part that kills me about so many republican stances. Then shouldn’t it also be up to individuals if they want to, say, do heroine? Teach evolution in science class (gasp!)? Romantically love someone of the same gender?

7 Likes

compare:

5 Likes

Scientific ignorance aside, I wonder if there were as many fools spreading the bubonic plague because of their God-given rights to do as they pleased?

3 Likes