Map of state-level coronavirus coordination efforts look like apocalyptic sci-fi

I don’t live there, but I keep seeing polar vortexes more frequently pushing temps below what even New Englanders whine about.

And man, do we love to whine.

2 Likes

Ah, but a little cold snap now and then keeps the riff-raff out.

2 Likes

I’ll bet it helps with mosquitoes too :slight_smile:

1 Like

But just wait until the coastal elites come hunting them.

(Sure, wrong continent.)

7 Likes

Don’t forget the dingo dog.

2 Likes

That’s a nice idea and all, except the very next day, THIS would happen:

4 Likes

But you do have some mind-meltingly beautiful hot springs…

US Constitution, article 1, section 10, clause 3:

No State shall, without the Consent of Congress, … enter into any Agreement or Compact with another State, … unless actually invaded, or in such imminent Danger as will not admit of delay.

Which means that Son-of-a-Mitch has to consent to any of these agreements, or else Trump’s lapdog judges have to find that they are based on imminent danger - which the Trumpeters seem still to insist upon denying. The GOP loves the Constitution when it can be twisted to GOP ends.

Loved the first third of the series, didn’t stick the landing.

1 Like

Hush. Killjoy.

Also, for future reference - the story doesn’t ende here:

[ETA: I hope that classifies as fair use?]

2 Likes

No, it really doesn’t.

Good maps tho.

1 Like

Boundaries tend to follow natural borders, like rivers and mountain ranges. Where borders are straight lines, it means there are no significant features to mark a border. That also implies that the borders are vague, and may extend miles in either direction. After you guys have two thousand years of internal wars, you might find some sort of borders have sorted themselves out. (On the other hand, maybe not. Look how Poland and Lithuania have changed shape and size over the centuries.)

2 Likes

As if that document has meaning anymore.

3 Likes

I’d really rather the midwest/northland alliance join Canada. Some rifts are too big.

What are the limits or other details in the surrounding text?

These feel more like working groups and limited business partnerships, not like sovereign compacts between states.

For example, something like E-ZPass has lots of state’s involved. But, it’s not some sovereign compact between the states. More of a joint business relationship for billing tolls. Where each state has its own version and they interoperate. Something similar for purchasing medical resource where each states own version corporates.

I haven’t hear of anyone accusing E-ZPass as being a constitutional problem.

2 Likes

Nice to see Hawaii finally won it back.

1 Like

I am wondering what the light blue area of South Florida designated “New Normal Initiative” means? Does that include my Keys? (my as in ‘yes I live here’).
I can report that the US1 Overseas Highway remains blockaded by MCSO and FDOT before the bridge to Key Largo. If that is “New Normal” I’m OK with that… being the selfish fuck I am.
(You kids stay off my rock! /s)

edit formatting

1 Like

Scrip on a larger scale. Maybe they’ll offer discounts like these programs to get consumers spending again:

1 Like

I’ve been staring at the map for a while. My best guess is: Color is the pact. x means that it was offered a chance to join a pact but refused (which pact is based on the color), thin lines indicate that they’re not formally part of a pact. Thick lines mean that they’re either coordinating with multiple pacts or are in one pact and coordinating with another. NC-VA-MD I think should be coordinating rather than solid per the text, but I’m not sure?

1 Like

If Feds stage troop movements in a state in informal Agrement with another State, does that count as “invasion” and thus justify formalizing the association? Let’s say tanks roll north up the Rio Grande from Ft Hoof near El Paso TX. Can the Southwest Union of New Mexico + Arizona + Utah + Colorado legally secede? The Feds need not even actually invade, merely threaten to – “imminent Danger” should suffice. Remember that the War of Southern Treason began with a rebel attack on a Union fort, NOT with an invasion from the North, so the southern secessions had no constitutional basis.

If the US fragments, expect instant wars and mass deaths.

2 Likes