Lidar image of farmland in central Missouri, USA:

7 Likes

Just whipped this up for curiosity’s sake:

8 Likes

A pre-pandemic view of crops / food origins:

from “A Map Of Where Your Food Originated May Surprise You”

Also, this contains an interesting interactive map:

7 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

“Terrible” in a different way.

World map of per capita prison populations.

Screenshot_20230212_092451_Brave

16 Likes

7 Likes

Yay. Adds new meaning to “America! Fuck yeah!”

2 Likes

This reminds me of a story that all first years were told on my university campus. All the sidewalks around campus had these seemingly perfect natural arcs, always going where you wanted. The story was that they intentionally built no sidewalks initially, to see where people were going to walk. The rule was that after the third time they had to replace the grass on a strip, it got replaced with a sidewalk. That may be one of those apocryphal stories that every campus has, but it did seem to fit the reality of there always being the perfect sidewalk for your trip to you next class (and nobody walked on the remaining grass, of which there was still plenty).

17 Likes

Desire paths. They make great sense on campuses or anywhere else that has a lot of both green and pedestrians.

16 Likes

Oooh, I didn’t know that had a name! Thank you! #TIL

9 Likes

12 Likes

… that is a very confusing map :confused:

6 Likes

What the hell?

Confused Dogs GIF by MOODMAN

11 Likes

Seems legit.

7 Likes

Right?

I somehow missed the war where Texas and New York combined forces to take over North America.

9 Likes

Oh, not combined, they were not on the same side. Rather most of what is now the US was taken by New York while Texas moved to Canada. As you can see, Canada also moved to Greenland. These are just some of the dramatic migrations being caused by a warming world – others of note being Paris moving to Scandinavia and India to Madagascar.

The map is of course out of date, not having happened yet.

13 Likes

Should say Ccanada, since it’s going to steal a c from the Arctic.

8 Likes

I think the most impressive part of the Parisian conquest of Eurasia was when they used all the leftover earth from widening the Bosporus to fill in the Channel and the Kattegat, which enabled them to attack the UK and Sweden without having to go to the bother of an amphibious invasion.

9 Likes