Mark Zuckerberg and Facebook executives are upset at The New York Times

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/01/04/facebook-angry-at-nyt.html

3 Likes

This may be alien to a corporation, especially one like facebook, but you don’t have to take their money when it’s counterproductive. I mean, really?

18 Likes

ZUCK: How dare they tell people a Facebook negative version of the truth. That’s OUR job! That’s OUR truth! We’ve got to protect our phoney-baloney jobs, gentleman! We must do something about this immediately! Immediately, immediately! Harrumph, harrumph! . . .I didn’t get a “harrumph” out of that guy!
FACEBOOK EXEC: Harrumph!
ZUCK: You watch your ass.

12 Likes

Zuckerberg tears, a fine and delicious vintage.

17 Likes

I think it speak to Facebook’s ineptitude at handling damaging (even to themselves) content - they just take the ad, take the money, and shovel the shit down the hole.

14 Likes

As an IT professional with 29 years of experience, I wonder what nuance might forgive a company for lying about it’s data privacy practices.

18 Likes

After almost a decade now of completely FREE primetime advetisment from literally every news organization on earth in the form of “follow us on Facebook!” with every signoff, this barely qualifies as a feather on the other side of the scale, much less something to throw a tantrum over.

12 Likes

This is how it works, Zuck: “bias” is when Fox News defends Trump breaking the law, “bias” is not reporting that he broke the law. So if you’re angry that the NYT is reporting on the unsavory things you do, then stop doing them.

18 Likes

5 Likes

So… they didn’t actually point out anything untrue in the Times’ reporting?

4 Likes

1492064848_asian-girl-smiling

13 Likes

It’d be nice if they provided some examples.

11 Likes

I can’t swear to it, but I think I have seen ads in the Times from people or companies who don’t like the Times, telling people to cancel their subscriptions. And I definitely think if someone was willing to pay for the ad space, the Times would run it.

3 Likes

I think that it’s from the same set of ‘objectivity’ procedures that defines finding two people arguing and interviewing both as the true path to balance:

Just as the existence of the disagreement is the essential truth of the situation, which it would be disrespectful to sully with any crass interjections about one side or the other being full of it, points of inadequate nuance or minor factual errors must have their equality with major investigative conclusions respected as carefully as possible.

So long as any of the Times’ conclusions could have been expressed with more nuance they cease to be conclusions at all; but simply one side of a controversy(and one between the intellectually incautious and their more nuanced betters, at that).

Smokescreen epistemology can be fun!

2 Likes

Perhaps, but does the editor of the Times complain publicly about the content of those ads after they’ve been published?

2 Likes

Aw… is widdle Zuckums sad that the negative press coverage may lead humans to

#deletefacebook

8 Likes

tumblr_m460uf8cvO1r1d8fxo1_540

8 Likes

Reality has a well known anti-monopoly bias.

2 Likes

I know a couple people who work in a technical capacity at the times, and I find the insinuation a reporter would willfully ignore the truth (even a technical truth) hard to believe. They do a good job of looping in internal experts to sanity check things. What they probably mean is the times refuses to use Facebook’s bullshit framings of things (notice and control, it’s ok to do things to your body data as long as you don’t say no opt out). Or they’re simply engaging in whataboutism - saying it’s unfair for the times to write stories about FB because other companies also have shitty practices.

3 Likes

Ah yes. “everybody in the industry does it, therefore the industry itself is justified”.

3 Likes