Marriott fires employee for "willfully liking" a tweet in support of Tibetan independence

If the Friends of Tibet tweet was about Marriott, the employee might have “liked” it in order to bookmark it for future reference because they were monitoring social media responses to the controversy.

3 Likes

That’s the problem though, who would you work for instead? Virtually all employers are unethical in some fashion.

3 Likes

How high is your bar? (Your Feed the Disabled Children non-profit uses non-recycled stationery?? Monsters!) At sufficiently fine resolution, your existence itself become unethical (Just think of the millions of microorganisms your immune system indiscriminately slaughters every day.) But so does killing yourself (And taking the rich gut microflora down with you…)

At some point, you just have to pick what you can live with. Presumably something that pales in comparison to the ethical burden of owning a made-in-China computer, assembled by quasi-serfs from looted African resources, powered primarily by fossil carbon.

7 Likes

Too bad I never stay at Marriott, I won’t be able to boycot them.

3 Likes

Liking and commenting for future reference. :wink:

Sadly, my University library is the Marriott Library.

1 Like

I am assuming the Animanicas don’t play in China. Nations of the world; Tibet, Hong Kong, and Taiwan, check, check, and check.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pOFKmk7ytU

6 Likes

But seriously, how low does it have to be?

2 Likes

I have always heard the phrase “The New Territories” to refer to the part of Hong Kong that are not part of Hong Kong Island or the Kowloon Peninsula. Which is to say the part of the colony of Hong Kong that was subject to a 99 year lease that the PRC had no interest in renewing. New Territories - Wikipedia

5 Likes

Really?

The 1979 U.S.-P.R.C. Joint Communique switched diplomatic recognition from Taipei to Beijing. In the Joint Communique, the United States recognized the Government of the People’s Republic of China as the sole legal government of China, acknowledging the Chinese position that there is but one China and Taiwan is part of China.

What currency do they use in Hong Kong and Taiwan? Not the RMB. Who defends Taiwan? Not the People’s Liberation Army. Who wants the Chinese in Tibet? Not the Tibetans.

3 Likes

The problem is that if they fought, they’d have killed themselves, both literally and spiritually.
You can’t be an effective force if you’re dead.
They couldn’t stay true to Tibetan Buddhism if they fought and killed.
It really was a lose lose situation.

The escape option has basically happened to some degree as the Tibetan govt. in exile has set up shop in Dharamsala.

1 Like

Are you frigging kidding me? Hawaii “reassigned” the colossal numbskull who caused a horrifying panic and possibly could’ve caused suicides. F Marriott. They need their heads checked as do the Hawaiian officials in charge of the ballistic missile messaging idiot.

1 Like

Not necessarily so minor. It may be the difference between dismissal and prison, an important distinction for the individual in question.

ETA: I mean that as a compliment. Thanks for pointing it out.

To include Tibet, Taiwan and Hong Kong as separate countries was a faux pas from the Chinese point of view, but Chinese and Western POVs are different. So we should call out any future surveys than include these countries as part of China. Otherwise the Chinese version of the world becomes the global view.

1 Like

Eh?

Tibet was not a great military power, but they were no more pacifist than any other nation. They had an army, and used it.

4 Likes

they think that passive resistance thing is working out for them When a monster comes knocking, you don’t wait for them to go away; you escape, or you fight. You don’t freeze

1 Like

Hmm, I did not know that. Thanks!

That doesn’t make it true. Because you know, Taiwan determines whether it’s a country or not, not the US or the PRC.

As far as I know Taiwan carefully does not claim to be a country (or rather, it officially claims to be China - as does the PRC.)

The status of Taiwan is one of those wonderful diplomatic fudges.

2 Likes