"Mars and Beyond" is a 1957 Disney show about life on other planets

Yeah I think the Futurama creators explicitly stated somewhere that Bender’s design was based on that comic. They even had a flashback showing one of Bender’s ancestral prototypes that had an even more obvious resemblance to the Schomburg cover.

7 Likes

Ooooh. I saw this on the Finnish TV way back when I was a kid; I’d forgotten most of it, but those weird hypothetical Martian creatures stuck to memory!

2 Likes

pratik yes GIF by DigitalPratik™

1 Like

If von Braun had told the Wehrmacht he did not appreciate people from concentration camps being used for forced labor, they would have suspected him of being a Jewish sympathizer and removed him from the program. Also, von Braun had to realize that any prisoner on work detail was another person not being tortured or executed, and they got better rations and treatment. Unless you know what was going on inside his head, you can’t accuse the man of anything except working to protect his country, even if it was being run by madmen.

Since my other posts were censored, I need to point out that America taught Hitler everything he knew about racism, so there is no wonder that the Nazi scientists were welcomed with open arms. Our country founded on genocide and slavery makes Hitler’s Germany look like a Sunday school picnic. (Censor this and I will know you are spineless.)

And then he would have been quietly pushed out of a career track. Nobody put a gun to his head and told him he had to create terror weapons or use slave labor. He chose to do so. He was an opportunist who saw the Nazis, their system and their methods as a way to advance his ideas and career. Like everyone in leadership positions in Nazi Germany. Like everyone else who relied on slave labor to advance themselves.

Wrong. Conditions at Dora and Peenemunde were considered harsh even for concentration camps. He didn’t give a crap. You are making stuff up, trying to imagine excuses where reality doesn’t work.
I don’t have to give a flying f–k what went on in his head. People are judged by their actions. There are no excuses for atrocity. I can accuse him of going to extraordinary lengths to serve the Nazi regime through participating in genocide. Because that is precisely what he did.

2 Likes

What the everloving hell kind of apologist nonsense is this?

If the Germany had won, the Nazis would have built a giant monument to the genius of the great patriot Von Braun and his marvelous London-seeking missiles.

He doesn’t get to just wash his hands of building Nazi super-weapons because he was “Defending the Fatherland” in a war his country started.

2 Likes

Just to pile on. The Holocaust wasn’t the first genocide done by Germany.

Herman Goering’s father committed genocide in Southwest Africa a generation before the Holocaust. Josef Mengele got his start there too.
https://www.ushmm.org/collections/bibliography/herero-and-nama-genocide

2 Likes

So it’s not that he was really that antisemitic, but that the work he was doing was more important than the lives of Jewish people… got it…

People who believe that the technology we got from Nazi scientists matters more than addressing and correcting bigotry. It plays right into the BS big man theory of history that assumes only individual great men (almost always white) are the ones moving history along and if they did not exist, then these leaps would never have been made. Never mind the technological changes happen in a field of labor, not from the minds of the superior European individuals…

or by Europeans, for that matter. But when it happens in the colonies, no white person gives a shit.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.