Martial Arts movie legend Donnie Yen talks about the best roles of his career

Originally published at: Martial Arts movie legend Donnie Yen talks about the best roles of his career | Boing Boing

5 Likes

Absolutely two of the best martial arts actors of all time. At the risk of starting a BBS argument:

I’d take Michelle Yeoh and Donnie Yen over Jackie Chan and Bruce Lee, any day.

3 Likes

Bruce Lee inspired every modern martial artist, there is no way he falls under Donnie Yen or Michelle Yeoh (both of whom I adore).

Gordon Liu and Jet Li are fantastic too. I don’t need to rank em.

2 Likes

I agree about the inspiration, but Michelle Yeoh and Donnie Yen are both far better actors, and better on-screen martial artists. Of course, they benefit from Lee’s legacy, but I’d argue that this is a case of the students surpassing the masters.

I’m a big fan of Jet Li’s on-screen martial arts, but he’s a one-note actor, in my book.

3 Likes

I would have put this up there as one of my favorite Donnie Yen fight scenes (and theres so many)

He really does have a great rhythm in his fight choreography and editing

1 Like

If you put acting first, I can appreciate that.

2 Likes

Silent Film Hiding GIF

Star Trek Discovery GIF by CBS

2 Likes

That gif is a good reminder of her great acting abilities, and the unknown directions Bruce Lee could have gone as an actor, except for the endemic racism that relegated him to stereotypical roles.

2 Likes

Yeah… I wish he were still with us, and getting roles worthy of what an awesome human he was…

2 Likes

He was great in Ip Man.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.