Mass shooting at UNC Charlotte leaves 2 killed, 4 injured [DEVELOPING]

Mother Jones has some data if you’re looking to do quick analytics: https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/12/mass-shootings-mother-jones-full-data/

Takeaways? Things got bad once Trump was elected. Don’t @ me.

2 Likes

At a guess:

* Posts that make assumptions about anyone’s mental state, race, gender, ethnicity, religious beliefs, group affiliation or sexual orientation without it being explicitly stated somewhere (either in a post or other verifiable source) will be considered inappropriate.
7 Likes

Automatic weapons (as in, guns capable of autofire) are pretty much not allowed to civilians, as far as I can tell. A serious private collector or similar probably could get a permit for one that’s got historical value or something, like one of the machine guns used in Winter or Continuation War for example, but that’s way outside my expertise. Anyway, the section of the firearms law that deals with gun permits says that you can’t get a permit for a weapon whose magazine size, caliber or other characteristics give it “unnecessary firepower” or stopping for the purpose you are getting the gun for.

So most probably no AR-15s for civilians because it’s overkill for any legitimate purpose for owning a firearm. (Basically hunting, target shooting, collecting and in very limited cases, needing it for a job.) The laws regulating hunting probably have more to say about that, too.

3 Likes

Children will want them,
Mothers supply them,
As long as your killers are heroes.
And all the media
Will fiddle while Rome burns,
Acting like modern-time Neros.

Prevention is better than cure,
Bad apples affecting the pure,
You’ll gather your senses I’m sure
Then agree to…

5 Likes

Yup. Sadly, as these events become more common, I think you’re going to find a lot of people whose degree of separation is 1 or 2…

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.