America outdoes itself with not one but two school shootings in a single day

[Read the post]

I honestly don’t mean to minimize the tragedy but really are we setting the bar for ‘mass shooting’ at just anything more than one person?

3 Likes

I believe the official quantity is 4 to qualify as a mass shooting, so the second incident technically doesn’t qualify…

Jesus Christ. If these two latest cases so soon after the last one don’t lead to a change in gun laws, what is it gonna take?

3 Likes

The shooting was mass; fortunately, only one person died.

6 Likes
4 Likes

The fact that school shootings are now happening often enough that we can easily classify them into neat categories with plenty of comparison points is in no way an indication that anything is wrong. Move along, see you in next week’s shooting thread.

/me bangs head on desk

31 Likes

Now is not the time to talk about gun control … .

2 Likes

I believe the bar has been set at greater than 20 schoolchildren.

5 Likes

It is time for a gun hunt and purge America of all firearms. That includes police and the military. We can keep their guns locked away.

It’s a competition, sick and demented, but a competition all the same.

The NRA should be proud of this ground breaking day!

3 Likes

Blah blah blah responsible gun ownership. If only we lived in an entirely different reality where everyone was careful, rational, and non-murderous at all times, it would be fine to stuff our houses with all many guns as we want. Therefore, in anticipation of that impossible alternate universe, I’m going to derail every internet thread ever talking about how I have the right to stuff my house full of as many guns as I want. They’re shiny and make up for my feelings of inadequacy.

16 Likes

Innocent lives: the price to pay for the freedom to keep special bang bang toys

15 Likes

That’s desperately, horrifyingly sad.

3 Likes

What? If not now, then when?

Well that’s a shitty joke.

5 Likes

You know that his answer is “never”, but especially not now.

3 Likes

“These numbers are compiled by the moderators of the GunsAreCool subreddit, a sarcastically named community that tracks gun violence in America. They define ‘mass shooting’ as any single incident in which at least four people are shot, including the gunman. The tracker comes in for some criticism because its definition is broader than the FBI’s definition, which requires three or more people to be killed by gunfire. But the broader definition is nonetheless a useful one, because it captures many high-profile instances of violence — like the recent Lafayette theater shootings — that don’t meet the FBI’s criteria.”

2 Likes

this is not the future i was hoping for.

7 Likes

I’m willing to give ajeroth the benefit of the doubt and say that they’re sarcastically pre-empting the gun nuts who will run in and say the exact same thing.

5 Likes