Massive security breach exposes anonymous Twitter accounts' email addresses and phone numbers

Originally published at: Massive security breach exposes anonymous Twitter accounts' email addresses and phone numbers | Boing Boing

10 Likes

This guy’s number, maybe?
elon musk smoking GIF

15 Likes

The problem is that Twitter all but forces you to provide a phone number to use the service.

“all but”? There’s a way not to? I’ve been using a workaround to anonymously get at age-gated posts after failing to get past the phone number requirement, cause I sure as fuck wasn’t going to give them anyone’s phone number much less mine (apparently a wise decision)… Though I suppose if you already have an account that might be the implied exception?

9 Likes

Also… this is a REALLY BAD bug. I mean, Security 101 stuff.

Junior developers - heck, most people on the internet - understand that you don’t reveal stuff unnecessarily. It’s simple, obvious common sense.

(I think this is fake, but it exemplifies the principle pretty well!)

15 Likes

I feel sorry for whistleblowers and activists working in authoritarian countries.

I also feel sorry for the people that fascists and MAGAts in the U.S. will be targetting thanks to this breach.

9 Likes

I have to say, as much as I dislike the guy, Musk did give me a good reason to finally kill my Twitter account.

10 Likes

I think @frauenfelder covered that when he said “authoritarian countries.” As currently constituted, I think we qualify. We don’t have to, but if the MAGAts get their way, we will make Iran look positively liberal.

16 Likes

Ooof.

3 Likes

Never sign up for an anonymous account with your regular email and phone number.

Get a voip number and throwaway email.

8 Likes

Sound advice, although Twitter – like other services – will reject certain classes of VOIP or virtual phone numbers. Apparently there’s some big list of numbers that are not attributed to ‘real’ telcos but to virtual number services like Hushed. Twitter will refuse to let you sign up with those.

4 Likes
4 Likes

tenor (7)

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.