Elon Musk vows to give up his phone number in favor of Twitter

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/10/elon-musk-vows-to-give-up-his-phone-number-in-favor-of-twitter.html

2 Likes

Giving up his phone, just like how he doesn’t have a home and sleeps on other people’s couches.

calling-bs

24 Likes

There’s a professor at UNC who (somewhat infamously) did this with email a couple of decades ago. As in, “I am no longer checking email; please contact me only via social media from now on.” I have no idea whether he’s kept up this schtick, especially given how much required communication happens through university email systems, but it sure was eyeroll-inducing.

How much privilege can a person exude, especially in a position of power, to say, “you may no longer contact me through the standard methods, which everyone else is expected and required to maintain and use.” What a tool.

I’m not surprised Elmo’s doing the same thing. (And like all of his gimmicks, it’s not even original!)

11 Likes

Countdown before a confidential and embarrassing conversation gets hacked and leaked. Xitter isn’t exactly a secure means of carriage.

Or maybe not. As @RickMycroft implies, he may be giving up his phone number but not the temporary burner phones he buys in someone else’s name.

13 Likes

That’s like saying he’s going to live in the penthouse apartment of a building without any lower floors.

8 Likes

I think he’ll keep his phone, and it’ll work for all the important people, but the proles will be forced to use X because when they dial, they’ll get a recording of Musk saying “Doo-doo-dee The number you have reached is not in service.”

5 Likes

I will now only communicate by smoke signal and semaphore.

Beat you Elno.

11 Likes

He also said we’d have a gazillion robotaxis by now; I wonder how that went?

10 Likes

So we’re just supposed to believe that there are people who call him on the phone and/or pick up his calls? Puhlease.

7 Likes

The friends and Nazis plan.

9 Likes

This assumes there are still people interested in communicating with him.

8 Likes

He really wants to make sure that his family can’t reach him.

10 Likes

I’m not sure most of them would even notice.

7 Likes

Prince Bonesaw Investments will have a direct line.

5 Likes

Direct through the implanted Neuralink?

1 Like

I suppose he has no need for two factor authentication

Or 911.

4 Likes

Not this? :poop:

3 Likes

This makes sense. Every now and then Musk must hear from someone who isn’t a pathetic sycophant. He probably got a real question from a reporter or a complaint from his ex’s lawyer at some point. Making sure he only hears from 𝕏 is a great way to make sure he can stay in his simulation where people think he’s smart and funny.

And hey, while the chance that I’d end up talking to him was always extremely close to zero, I don’t mind it getting a couple orders of magnitude closer.

4 Likes

It goes without saying that he has a full-time security detail who all carry their own cell phones so even if he made good on his boast it’s not like he’d be depriving himself from the ability to make or receive phone calls at a moment’s notice.

Billionaires don’t need to carry their own wallets or house keys either, that doesn’t mean those things aren’t critical for everyone else.

6 Likes

Im curious, can you be served legally via twitter?

Asking for a friend.

4 Likes