Elon Musk would like everyone to stop calling Twitter "Twitter"

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/02/16/elon-musk-would-like-everyone-to-stop-calling-twitter-twitter.html

9 Likes

That is incredibly offensive to trans people. On the other hand, massive asshole is an asshole, not really news.

39 Likes

guess he should sell the name to bluesky then.

( also: what an ass he is )

10 Likes

Rule 1 of branding design. Test your brand’s name in every possible context it could be used in and figure out what that usage would / should be. Issue brand guidelines if necessary (but often that’s an admission of bad brand-name design to start with).

“X” fails in so many contexts that it was never going to supplant Twitter.

24 Likes

Oh yeah, now that I know it really bugs this asshole I’m definitely still calling it Twitter

36 Likes

The sooner that shitshow dies and fades into obscurity the better the planet will be.

The name of the specific shitshow is left as an exercise for the reader.

37 Likes

It’s been more than half a year since Musk made his idiotic renaming announcement and every single post he writes on his own damn platform still has “twitter” in the URL instead of “X.”

The “deadnaming” comment is obviously just an offensive dig at trans people, but if we were to follow Musk’s own metaphor this would be like a person wearing a prominent name tag bearing their deadname then attacking anyone who addressed them that way.

40 Likes

In the spirit of compromise, I will continue to call the shitshow in question “Xitter”.

36 Likes

Ok. “Xitter” it is.

25 Likes

This is my favorite, pronounced shitter, of course.

29 Likes

Might help to change the domain away from Twitter

15 Likes

I will exercise my freeze peach by continuing to call it Twitter.

19 Likes

(condescending talking to a toddler while reading a newspaper voice) ok buddy, that’s great!

9 Likes

You beat me to it, but I put the effort into this so here it is:
x_or_twitter

13 Likes

Aww, man. I was enjoying calling it 𝕏 because that name is so stupid, it’s inherently making fun of Musk to use it. But it ruins it if he’s going to insist on it in his usual narcissistic, thinks-he’s-funny-but-is-actually-just-bigoted way.

12 Likes

Elon Musk would like everyone to stop calling Twitter “Twitter”

Try holding your breath while you wait, asshole.

27 Likes

I like the X as it’s allowed me to call it “Xitter”, where the X take on the Chinese sound “sh”!

10 Likes

I usually see (hear) it quoted as, “the social media site formerly known as Twitter.” I am an NPR junkie.

14 Likes

X is like a stagename nobody accepts :crazy_face:

17 Likes

Funny that, when talking about it in public at least (e.g. that NYTimes “DealBook Summit” thing he was interviewed for), even Elno himself calls it “Twitter.” Presumably he knows it would cause great confusion if he called it “X,” because almost no one would know what he was talking about.

12 Likes