Elon Musk says Twitter will soon be renamed "X", an idea so bad even now few think he's serious

Originally published at: Elon Musk says Twitter will soon be renamed "X", an idea so bad even now few think he's serious | Boing Boing

11 Likes

I guess he thinks that the change from Comcast to Xfinity fooled everyone!?

30 Likes

Christ, what an asshole.

30 Likes

The qualifications implied by scrawling ‘X’ on things to make your mark might be more historically appropriate than he’s comfortable with.

21 Likes

Silent Spring?

Also: twice? Did he tweet this twice?

Also: silent spring on the web?

An X marks the spot.

15 Likes

If a good enough X logo is posted tonight, we’ll make go live worldwide tomorrow

So… a swastika?

27 Likes

after 9 children (currently known) with 3 women one might presume he’d be more of a hand at naming things …(and one would presume incorrectly)

After two marriages to “Westworld” star Talulah Riley and a brief relationship
with actress Amber Heard, Musk started dating singer Grimes in May 2018. She
gave birth to their son, X AE A-XII, in May 2020. X is now 2.
(source)

whoops… make that 10 children the 10th possibly named ‘Y’ (why indeed -sigh- guesses as to the name of the next?)

17 Likes

birds aren’t real.

27 Likes

Makes sense. Musk doesn’t like the name Twitter because it’s something someone else came up with, and the company is supposed to be all him now. But he’s also not creative enough to come up with another one, so falls back on the same “insert name here” symbol he always does.

25 Likes

That sound like the map to his route. He shall be advised: there be dragons where he steers his ship towards the week of the sun. And they will rip his lung out and make a football out of his bladder and feast on his eyeballs. On a stick. While they are still fresh. And not at all mouldy.

11 Likes

This bird has flown.

18 Likes

… kinda like 45 and the newspaper Barron’s

in both cases trademarks these guys don’t own

13 Likes

and he’s not willing to pay a person to do the branding:

“If a good enough X logo is posted tonight”

i guess you don’t get to be a billionaire by paying people to do good work. something something job creators. what a farce

17 Likes

I’m sure Tesla stock holders are so glad to be trusting their money with this guy lately

13 Likes

Tomorrow he’ll rename it CarX.

10 Likes

The X logo I’ve seen referenced on Twitter is nearly identical in styling to the logo for X-Windows (aka X11, aka probably still runs the GUI for your Linux desktop‡). Ummm… I don’t think the X.org non-profit has enough lawyers to win fight this. They probably can’t fight the name itself, but the logo they could.

Side note: the X-Windows app X-logo is designed to render at any aspect ratio, just resize the window, and the logo appears at that ratio, wide or tall.

‡ Yes, Wayland exists, but X11 is still heavily used and will be around for another decade.

17 Likes

cato.org/commentary/bring-back-ddt

5 Likes

The Cato Institute are profit motivated liars and can go to hell. If they said the sun was hot, I would double-check.

23 Likes

Even Charles Xavier would probably tell him to give it a rest by now.

20 Likes

… I don’t know how to put an /s inside a onebox :thinking:

12 Likes