Elon Musk begs brands for Twitter engagement

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2023/10/28/elon-musk-begs-brands-for-twitter-engagement.html

6 Likes

If Musk had the money he could hire Jeb Bush as head of brand relations.

17 Likes

/s

20 Likes

Maybe don’t link to xitter posts and provide screenshots instead? Or are we cool with giving them free engagement?

26 Likes

Please also post updates to the Diablo Community group

What brands are left on Twitter:

Austin Powers Doctor Evil GIF

6 Likes

At this point, Xitter’s numbers are bad enough that I don’t think BoingBoing is going to have much of an impact either way. Plus, I doubt very many of us will actually follow the link to Xitter.

Back to the topic, though…if Xitter were an actually useful platform to directly post patch notes to, no one would have to ask the developer to do that. Musk has no idea just how much he’s exposing himself as a terrible business owner here.

11 Likes

Sure, if one web site does it it doesn’t matter. But if three do it, they’ll think it’s an organization! And if it’s fifty websites a day, it’s a movement. The anti-xitter movement.

8 Likes

I believe embedding tweets still drives metrics, and gives them data. I prefer to give the site nothing

21 Likes

Huh, it’s as if threatening them about leaving didn’t actually work.

5 Likes

It’s not available for him to buy and enshittify?

11 Likes

I just tossed a bunch of Twitter domains into hosts for blocking.

There are many lists, here’s one:

PiHole would be another way to do that.

7 Likes

Another reason to avoid embedding tweets is that there’s a high probability that the X-bird site will just be gone in a few years. Future us reading these articles will only find bitrot.

18 Likes

I’m sure it does, but not as much as actually clicking the link and then replying to the xeet (pronounced sheet) on xitter.

ETA: The thing I don’t like about sharing things like this by taking screenshots and sharing those is that those are too easy to fake, and are faked all the time. I’d actually prefer the link be included for that reason alone. Again, people don’t have to click on it.

4 Likes

It would help if this board had better ‘one boxing’ options. Sometimes I feel like I had to embed a tweet because it often has actual context than just the link by itself.

And besides Elon’s nonsense is already screwing up how tweets show up on Discord leading people to use fxtwitter wizardry which can be done by adding an fx before twitter in an tweets’s url restoring functionality while not giving him any money haha

https://docs.fxtwitter.com/en/latest/index.html

The FixTweet’s devs have made this all open source so maybe it should be considered an future option for the board’s dev(s) to consider integrating in the future. If the url can be automatically be altered as soon as it’s pasted to this board… chef’s kiss

VXtwitter is also an option too that might have even better privacy GitHub - dylanpdx/BetterTwitFix: Fix Twitter video embeds in Discord (and Telegram!) (although VX’s creator allegedly had a problem with Fixtweet’s dev for being anti p*do and anti transphobe lol)

If there’s a few savvy coders here, a bbtwitter alternative that could be used anywhere could be pretty funny to see deployed just to annoy the piss out of Elon

4 Likes

How about not? That would work much better.

You don’t have to embed a tweet, ever, and I at least would rather you didn’t. Need context? Provide it.

3 Likes

… I think the info in the embed has been copied to the Discourse servers — it’s not being reloaded from Twitter every time we see it :confused:

3 Likes

I really do not like seeing this site post links to twitter.

12 Likes

Using something else like Mastodon seems way easier than using arcane knowledge to keep embedding xitter posts :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

Thinking of his beef with Wikipedia, I think it’s just the usual narcissistic contempt for anyone or anything that provides an independent source of truth. He can’t control or twist it, so he wants to destroy it.

6 Likes

That’s neat stuff, making sure that things still work even though the person owning the company is trying their hardest to break it. It seems a bit like the Old Twitter firefox extension, that brings back the twitter from a more functional time (2015). I was using this for a while before I stopped using the x-bird site completely.

3 Likes