Elon Musk vows to end Twitter's block function

Originally published at: Elon Musk vows to end Twitter's block function | Boing Boing

6 Likes

Musk’s Xitter conflates “free” and “worthless”.

31 Likes

Everyone knows that the mere concept of a signal to noise ratio is basically stalinism; obviously.

18 Likes

Poor baby had his fee fees hurt when he saw how many people blocked him.

31 Likes

Musk rarely lives up to his promises, but here is one where nobody has to build anything at all. It just takes breaking something other people made. Strictly speaking, the user interface can even still be there, it just has to fail to do anything! I believe in him.

25 Likes

The purpose of x is to force its users to listen to Nazis, bigots, and all the other awful people that Elon is into. So of course there cannot be a block button.

27 Likes

This just sounds like another step in destroying Twitter… so I applaud it?
There are times I wish there was a block functionality here.

8 Likes

It took a long time to get Discourse to implement Ignore, this BBS’s equivalent of Block. It’s improved my experience here enormously, so of course Elon would try to remove Block over there.

10 Likes

This is my block

My current laptop doesn’t have it, but I will get it added soon.

9 Likes

Since Ron’s content ends up here often:

19 Likes

Someone broke the news to him that he’s the most blocked person on the platform.

18 Likes

I’m of the opinion that this move is a response to people blocking advertisers. That’s what I do. To show I’m unhappy with the management of Twitter, I always block advertisers.

13 Likes

I like the name “Xitter”. (pronounced “shitter”, mb with a slight z at the start?)
Then we can refer to tweets as “Xits” (pronounced “shit” or “zshit”?)
the soft z helps to distinguish it ever so slightly from actual sh!t and sh!tters (which have actual meaning and purpose in life as opposed to Xitter.

Right after he took over, my normal feed of lefty humor and commentary was replaced by BTS and Korean pop crap for a few days. Since then Xitter emails me mb ten times a day trying to get me to engage… meh. Let’s get back to 'lectric cars and flyin to Mars. What a waste of good electrons.

14 Likes

11 Likes

You’re aware there is an ignore function here, right?

18 Likes

Musk’s response to having the company in the shitter is to press the lever and make it swirl down faster. I think the end result could well be bankruptcy. He will have spent $44 billion to make a statement, play at running a company, and get all his bigot friends on board, then the money will run out and the party will be over.

7 Likes

Yes! I celebrate every stupid decision he makes that hastens it’s demise. We should be encouraging him to make it worse.

10 Likes

The blue check mark at this point might as well be called Certified Deplorable. What little value it had in filtering the noise out is utterly gone. It’s like Musk saw Truth Social and thought… yeah, that’s the future.

9 Likes

How much you want to bet that Elon Musk’s account has a feature that looks like a block and quacks like a block but has a legal name somewhat different from block?

7 Likes

It kind of looks like “block” is different from “mute”. So you can still keep the Nazis and other assorted garbage out of your feed, you just wouldn’t be able to keep them reading or retweeting (reXcreting?) your stuff. Personally, I keep Nazis on Twitter from reading my stuff on Twitter by not being on Twitter, and I feel like this is the preferred solution anyway.

10 Likes