Massive star 100 times larger than the sun mysteriously disappears

…or maybe it’s night-time there?

14 Likes

“Mmmmh, lost a star, master Obi Wan has. How embarrasing.”

11 Likes

Somewhere in Tibet, in a hidden lamasery, monks are pasting the last of the nine billion names of God into their holy books.

13 Likes
2 Likes

Yeah, you should make one.

Hellstar Remina ate it.

1 Like

Wait, is this a mystery? Maybe I’m out of date, but here’s what I learned a while ago: If a star is supermassive, the core will collapse into a black hole post-haste and the rest of the star should follow suit, hypothetically.

A supernova happens because there’s a remnant (a bunch of neutrons) that resists collapse… the infalling matter from outside the core compresses this remnant, the remnant resists collapse and the matter falling in bounces off, sending a shockwave through the rest of the stuff falling in => supernova. It’s possible this remnant collapses into a black hole if the pressure is great enough or survives as a neutron star.

But if the core is big enough, there’s no remnant, it should just collapse into a black hole… the rest of the star would just fall into it and, since there’s nothing to bounce off of, there would be no shockwave, no supernova; it’d just implode and not be there any more.

You have seen that scene from ‘Mars Attacks’, right?

2 Likes

The validity of the Dark Forest Theory increases…

1 Like

Nice reference :+1:t2:

3 Likes

The answer to this can be found in The Threshold Series by Peter Clines. :dragon_face: :lizard:

I would expect there would be an accretion disk and associated release of energy.

2 Likes

thatswhatshegiphy

5 Likes

A lot can happen in fou… ten years.

This entire topic is full of win.

Thank you for collectively brightening our skies at a time where things are looking dimmer by the day…

10 Likes

I see the Culture has decided to go on the offensive against the Idirans…

4 Likes

Boffins baffled as supergiant star just vanishes – either it partially blew itself apart or quietly turned into a black hole

They believe there are two possible explanations behind the star’s disappearance. The boring answer is that, well, it has simply transformed into a dimmer star due to matter loss that’s causing it to be obscured by dust. Or, perhaps, the giant star has collapsed into a black hole without go supernova first, which sounds fantastic but isn’t unknown.

3 Likes

Did anyone think to look behind the cushions on the sofa? It,s amazing what you can find back there sometimes - enough loose coins for a happy meal, that vital lego piece, lost jigsaw pieces, super massive stars …

8 Likes

The sofa? You wouldn’t believe the stuff that people leave in cars that get handed back at the end of a lease, I’ll be looking for something like this in cars that I deal with in future; it’ll make a nice conversation piece in my lounge…

2 Likes
1 Like