"Master bedroom" and "Master bath" won't be used in Houston's real estate listings anymore

I prefer “Sanctum Sanctorum” or “The Pit of Despair”.

16 Likes

Go back to Primary school?

4 Likes

What’s gonna happen to the Master of Disguise? Does He get another name?

2 Likes

If only it were that easy to get rid of this guy

11 Likes

The “master” drive in an IDE setup is not controlling the other drive, it just takes precedence over the secondary drive when it comes to using the port both drives are sharing.

This is entirely different to what used to be called master/slave setup in databases, where “master” would be the primary database, and the “slave” a synchronized copy.

What those two have in common with the master file table is that master loosely means “dominant”, and this is why the term master has to go in all three, this is the meaning we want to get rid of.

It’s not so bad, either, when a metaphor loses acceptance, it needs to be replaced. And there are better, more descriptive terms in all three occasions, as we have already seen.

That is an entirely different meaning of master, its about mastering a skill. You can become a master jedi without ever dominating over anyone else.

4 Likes

Didn’t houses historically have names for bedrooms such as “nursery” (for the kids’ room), “servants quarters” (for the servants), and “guest rooms” (where guests would sleep). So “master bedroom” is just a carry over from the days where servants were common, the “Master of the house” slept in the master bedroom, the kids slept in the nursery, and the servants slept in the servants quarters, etc. (note, not from the “master of the plantation” sort of terminology, but from the “London Townhouse” terminology, where you didn’t have multiple bedrooms (or any separate “rooms” to sleep in) unless you were well-to-do enough to afford a servant or two. Poor and working class used to mostly live in single room apartments.

5 Likes

missy-not-turned-good|nullxnull

In America, that was primarily southern plantation owners until the civil war… so, there’s that.

14 Likes

In the south it may have been (never lived in the south, so not sure how they typically name rooms there). But in the North, slavery was much less common, but “master bedroom” is still a common term for older upper-middle-class townhouses (many which actually have the 2nd set of stairs for servants leading to the servants quarters). In many of those cases the servants were Irish immigrants. (most perhaps, since slavery was not present in the north in the late 1800s or early 1900’s when the houses were built) The term itself “master bedroom” apparently was not used in the US until the 1920s. https://www.trelora.com/blog/2018/07/master-bedroom-origin/ It was apparently used in England much earlier (google isn’t finding much ), denoting where the “Master of the House” slept, where “Master” did not refer to a slave owner, but only refereed to the owner of the house.

3 Likes

Does it really matter, though? Are you really attached to something that is a legacy of racism and class inequality?

10 Likes

that depends; is it u or 'e ?

edit: because if its 'e then you better ask 'em first.

The article says

the Court of Master Sommeliers will no longer refer to sommeliers who have passed the master’s exam with the word “Master” before their surname.

So you would still be a master sommelier, but you would not be addressed as “Master Brinkman”.

As a Black American, you might prefer not having to address someone else as master, because your enslaved ancestors were forced to address their slaver as “master”.

I find that is very considerate of the Master Sommeliers.

8 Likes

Just say you have a graduate degree?

8 Likes

I don’t care what we call the room, after all the Term “Master Bedroom” is a 20th century marketing term, first used in the 1920’s, so is a fairly recent invention Of course it had nothing to do with slavery, since the term was not used back then. It came into being (probably from Europe) where the “Master of the house” just meant the homeowner, and sounded all Posh and Fancy and Continental to Americans. Back at a time when having a separate bedroom just to sleep in was not all that common yet for working-class people, so meant you were moving up in the world if you got one in your home.

Of course now, the assumption (in the US) is that the term “master” only means “slave-owner”, but for most of history, that particular meaning was only one of the derived meanings of the term. (you could “master a skill”, or have a “post-master general” or “be the master of your own destiny” without implying you were out to subjugate a race of people. (granted, you could also declare your self the “master-race” because you were out to subjugate a race of people). But I think we are being unfair to real-estate agents accusing them of being racists just because they used a term that was very common to denote the “main/primary/best” whatever-it-was. I think we are doing a lot of mighty big contortions to twist “master-bedroom” into meaning “slave-owners-bedroom” when it never meant anything like that.

Or course, you also can’t “have a gay-old-time” outside of Giligan’s Island without getting funny looks, or “smoke a fag”, or “gather some faggots for the fireplace” BTW, a “fag” means “a cigarette” in British English, and a “faggot” just means something to burn (eg, wood/sticks)). So, language changes. If we can no longer use the term “master” without implying “slave-owner”, then we need a new term that means something similar (in the “this is my place” sense in the case of homes, or in the “I’m very competent at this skill/job and can do it very well” sense. I guess the term “Boss” can cover the “Hey you work for me” sense of the term already.

5 Likes

At my job, we are slowly moving all of our git repositories from master to main as their default branch. It’s actually really easy to do in most cases. (And when it’s not easy to do, we are just leaving it as is.)

4 Likes

The 1920s was considered the nadir of race relations, so, there’s that. And often terms were chosen as the consumer economy expanded specifically to give the expanding white middle class a sense of rising up in the world above other people (including working class people of all races). So it retains a classist and racist meaning…

That term was used for those who enslaved others for millennia, not just during the American antebellum. And again, there is still a classist meaning here, invoking other kinds of social inequalities, in addition to racist ones.

There really isn’t any reason to retain it, and it hurts nothing to do so.

Agreed.

That’s not a difficult problem. Parental bedroom? Couples bedroom? A suite?

9 Likes

So. They’ve already solved race discrimination in the housing market (redlining, etc.) and can now focus on minor issues like nomenclature?

2 Likes

Lovenasium.

6 Likes

Or even, ‘big’.

I somehow missed that. Confusion withdrawn. Rock on.

Works for me! :grin:

4 Likes