Masterful and Fun plein air painting demos

Originally published at: Masterful and Fun plein air painting demos | Boing Boing

5 Likes

I never miss a video from this guy. Brilliant.

2 Likes

Gurney is a master’s master at color and light. I wish I’d had art instructors in college who had even a fraction of his knowledge; my art career might have been more successful. :slight_smile: I met him at a book signing back in the '90s. He was one of the nicest, most approachable “celebrities” I’ve ever met. Just a super guy. He even gave me his personal phone number, written on a business card. I never made use of it, but … wow. I still can’t believe he did that.

2 Likes

I just want to say at least you had the nuggets to try. I opted for a safer route, then changed up to an even safer one. If I had regrets, one would be not having pursued art.

My wife and I are both “artists.” We have graphic design degrees with a concentration in illustration. After 15 years of corporate graphics work, we have spent the last 20 or so years as self-employed illustrators. It has been nothing but a struggle for us professionally. Occasional periods of decent income among long stretches of barely scraping by. Most of our fellow artist friends can tell a similar story. As one of my college art instructors used to say, “Art is not fun; art is not easy.” She was (rightly) talking about the creation of art, but it more accurately applies to the business of art.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.